VSS errors on Hyper-V guest RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm running into some issues trying to back up a Hyper-V VM with DPM. The DPM server is 2012 R2 on System Center rollup pack 10, and the Hyper-V Host is on Server 2012.

Whenever I try to create the inital replica, I get this error in the Hyper-V-VMMS event log:

VSS writers inside virtual machine 'LYPF-ARCHIVE3' failed to perform BackupComplete corresponding to shadow copy (VSS snapshot) set with id '45430182-3977-4F04-86C7-07113E6952C6': Unspecified error (0x80004005). (Virtual machine ID B6943C2F-8E46-49D6-A338-AA825A1C5391)

But the only event I've found on the VM itself is:

Ran out of time while deleting files. 

Operation:
       OnPostSnapshot event
       PostSnapshot Event

It's also interesting that if I try to use Dell's Auto-Snapshot manager, I get an error saying:

An error occurred during phase: Creating Smart Copy 
        Exception from HRESULT: 0x80042306.

Writer 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer' reported an error: 'VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_THAW'. Check the application component to verify it is in a valid state for the operation.
    An error occurred:
    One or more errors occurred during the operation.  Check the detailed progress updates for details.
    An error occurred:
    Smart Copy creation failed.
    Error:  Expected shadow copy provider error. The provider logged the error in the event log.
    Could not log in to snapshot, it may be offline.

Any idea what could be happening? I've tried every combination of software/hardware VSS provider, registry key, re-registering dll, etc. that I can think of and I'm completely out of ideas. Please let me know if you need any other information.

Thursday, August 18, 2016 7:57 PM