none
Remove Searchbar from Taskbar on Win 10 1909 during OSD RRS feed

• Question

• So, this may be a dumb question, but I'm starting to work toward moving my environment from 1803 to 1909. I can't really find an answer out there anywhere on this. With the searchbar being separated from Cortana, I can easily still disable Cortana in the registry when building my .wim file. I tried disabling the searchbar through registry in "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" using DWORD "SearchboxTaskbarMode" with a value of 0. This didn't seem to do anything though.

Is there a registry setting that isn't in HKCU that can turn this off or a way for me to turn it off during OSD? I'd like to avoid putting this in a GPO if possible.

Monday, November 25, 2019 6:24 PM

Answers

• Well... I remade the .wim file again and found the answer. I added it into the default profile and unloaded the hive with my other customizations. Might have just been syntax the first time around, but I distributed the new .wim file to my DP's and did a test image and it's working!
    • Marked as answer by StrawAdmin Tuesday, November 26, 2019 2:07 PM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2019 2:06 PM

All replies

• If you configure custom taskbar in Replace Mode it should remove also the search bar:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/configure-windows-10-taskbar#remove-default-apps-and-add-your-own

(The Picture is not 100% correct)

• Edited by Michael-CM Monday, November 25, 2019 6:44 PM
    Monday, November 25, 2019 6:43 PM
  • Here's what my current layout looks like. It's already setup with "<CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection PinListPlacement="Replace">" as well.

<CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection PinListPlacement="Replace">
          <defaultlayout:TaskbarLayout>
            <taskbar:TaskbarPinList>
              <taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools\File Explorer.lnk" />
              <taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Snipping Tool.lnk" />
              <taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Google Chrome.lnk" />
            </taskbar:TaskbarPinList>
          </defaultlayout:TaskbarLayout>
        </CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection>

Monday, November 25, 2019 6:56 PM
  • I'm accomplishing this and similar settings during OSD by modifying the default user registry hive. It's just a .cmd file that I call in a "Run Command Line" task sequence step. For your example, it would look something like this:

REM Load the default user registry hive
    reg load "hku\default" "C:\Users\Default\NTUSER.DAT"

REM Set the taskbar Search option to "Hidden"
    reg add hku\default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search /v SearchboxTaskbarMode /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM Unload the default user registry hive
    reg unload "hku\default"
    The REM lines are just for commenting, so they are optional

https://ccmcache.wordpress.com/ | @kevmjohnston

Monday, November 25, 2019 8:03 PM
  • Well... I remade the .wim file again and found the answer. I added it into the default profile and unloaded the hive with my other customizations. Might have just been syntax the first time around, but I distributed the new .wim file to my DP's and did a test image and it's working!
    • Marked as answer by StrawAdmin Tuesday, November 26, 2019 2:07 PM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2019 2:06 PM