Fatal Error when sequencing SCCM 2007 Console RRS feed

• Question

• Just followed these instructions:

Configuration Manager 2007 Console used for remote Configuration of SCCM.

Application Name: Configuration Manager 2007 Console

Application Version: 2007 and 2007 R2

Company Name: Microsoft

Sequencer Version: 4.5 RTM > 4.6 RTM

App-V Client Version Tested On: 4.5 RTM > 4.6 RTM

Operating System Sequenced On: Windows XP

Pre-requisites: Install all prerequisites (e.g. MMC 3.0, etc.) and SCCM 2007 Console natively on your clean WinXP workstation, using the same install path as you'll use when sequencing.

Client Operating Systems Successfully Deployed To: Windows XP , Windows 2003

Posted by Microsoft Employee: Justin Zarb

Corresponding KB Article Reference: http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2008/05/21/sequencing-the-microsoft-system-center-configuration-manager-admin-console.aspx?CommentPosted=true

Steps to Sequence the Application:

1. Install all prerequisites (e.g. MMC 3.0, etc.) and SCCM 2007 Console natively on your clean WinXP workstation, using the same install path as you'll use when sequencing.

2. Export the following keys and save to a central location:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MMC\SnapIns\FX:{6de537a5-7a1c-4fa4-ac3a-1b6fc1036560}]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MMC\SnapIns\FX:{a77b774c-ce32-4ab0-982a-6bb3c078e5c1}]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ConfigMgr\AdminUI\QueryProcessors\WQL]

3. Turn Off and Delete all changes (VHD) or Reimage your sequencer to a clean state if you're using a physical sequencing computer.

4. Install the Sequencer

5. Install all prerequisites for ConfigMgr 2007 Console (e.g. MMC 3.0, etc.) natively on the sequencing computer.

6. Start your sequence. While monitoring, install the ConfigMgr 2007 Admin Console. After installation is complete, before you stop monitoring, import the 3 exported registry keys you created in step #2 above.

7. Launch the Console and test functionality, then complete the installation.

8. During the Application Wizard, ensure the shortcut executable path is set to the Q: drive or the VFS path as necessary and launch the MMC to test functionality at this phase.

9. Finish the sequence and save it.

10. Modify the OSD to include the following dependency:

<DEPENDENCY>
    <SCRIPT TIMING="POST" EVENT="STREAM" PROTECT="TRUE" WAIT="TRUE" TIMEOUT="0">
    <SCRIPTBODY LANGUAGE="Batch">
    echo off \n
    copy /y %SFT_MNT%\<Replace with Asset Dir>\VFS\CSIDL_WINDOWS\WinSxS\Manifests %windir%\WinSxS\Manifests \n
    xcopy /S /y %SFT_MNT%\<Replace with Asset Dir>\VFS\CSIDL_WINDOWS\WinSxS\Policies %windir%\WinSxS\Policies \n
    </SCRIPTBODY>
    </SCRIPT>
    </DEPENDENCY>

11. Publish the sequence and test the functionality on your SoftGrid Client.

Known Issues/Limitations

All prerequisites need to be installed natively on the clients as they were on the sequencer prior to sequencing.

Tested on Windows 2003 and Windows XP                                 

Approximate Sequencing Time: 45 mins

This document is provided “as-is”. Information and views expressed in this document, including URL and other Internet Web site references, may change without notice. You bear the risk of using it.

Some examples depicted herein are provided for illustration only and are fictitious.  No real association or connection is intended or should be inferred.

This document does not provide you with any legal rights to any intellectual property in any Microsoft product. You may copy and use this document for your internal, reference purposes. You may modify this document for your internal, reference purposes.

The first installation to get the registry keys went smoothly. When I fired up the sequencer and was monitoring the installation, I got a Fatal Error during the file transfer step. Has anyone else experienced this/can anyone reproduce it?

I'm working on Windows 7 x64 w/ App-V 4.6

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 5:06 PM

Answers

• I was able to successfully sequence the SCCM2007 SP2 console with R2, R3 and the R3 hotfix 977384 on Windows 7 x86.

Here are the steps I took to accomplish this:

1.       Upgrade to the latest App-v sequencer 4.6 SP1

2.       Make sure your computer is on your domain

3.       Launch the sequencer and choose custom sequence where you run the installs without the assistance of app-v automatically.

4.       First run SCCM SP2 console HTA file and install it to the default install directory

5.       Next install the R2 update, then the R3 Hotfix, and then the R3 update.

6.       Once the console is installed and everything is the way you want it open C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager Console and copy the contents to your Q:\SCCMCONSOLE directory

7.       Next select the “I am finished installing” and continue with the sequencing.

8.       Once it’s finished you should have the option to run the application to make sure it works. (Note it will state that it is installed to its default install location this is ok)

9.       Once the console opens make sure you can connect to your primary site server and close it out.

10.    When you get to the screen that you can Run, Edit and remove packages remove anything you do not want then choose the ConfigMgr Console and select edit, change the location to the Q:\SCCMCONSOLE directory or whatever you named it and select AdminUI\bin\adminconsole.msc, also make sure to name it ConfigMgr Console.

11.   Click next and finish sequencing like you normally would and then deploy with your normal method of deployment.

I deployed this to my streaming server and it deployed to Two different Windows 7 VDI’s .  I have not tested on 64 bit windows or XP. 

James Snarey
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 4:45 PM
  • When monitoring begins, the sequencer creates it own permissions on the folder you chose for monitoring so that administrators no longer has full control. To install the console simply create a sub folder during installation where you install the console.

Peter van der Woude has created a great guide to perform this task: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/category/App-V-46.aspx

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 11:43 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Have you tried sequencing on a x86 machine?

/Znack
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 5:50 PM
  • I haven't. I'm sequencing for a 64-bit environment, so I'm only interested in being successful with Windows 7 x64 (otherwise it won't be sequenced). Is there anything I can do to diagnose this fatal error?

In the meantime, I'll try sequencing on x86 to rule out other variables.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 6:09 PM
  • I will have to fire my old sequence up for this and play around on Windows 7 and let you know. I only tested this at the time on XP and 2003 TS so results may and will differ for Windows 7/Vista. Will try and dig into it as soon as i get a few free moments!

JZ
    http://appvguy.com
    MSFT

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 11:17 PM
  • Thanks!
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 11:36 AM
  • Got the same Fatal Error on x86.
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 6:39 PM
  • Looking in the ConfigMgrSetup log, found this:

<07-08-2010 13:58:00> Failed to set permissions on Q:\SCCM, GetLastError() = 0
    <07-08-2010 13:58:00> Setup has encountered fatal errors while performing file operations.
    Any ideas what permissions are being set? It installs correctly without the sequencer running, what would be preventing it from setting permissions during sequencing?
    Friday, July 9, 2010 2:08 PM
  • Hello,

Not really - have you checked the security descriptors of it while sequencing?

/Znack
    Friday, July 9, 2010 3:25 PM
  • How can I do this? The only place I've modified security descriptors is after sequencing, toggling the "Enforce Security Descriptors" checkbox.

Friday, July 9, 2010 5:30 PM
  • Hello,

Right click the folder. Choose properties. Check the security tab....

So, does the permissions look OK?
    /Znack

Friday, July 9, 2010 5:36 PM
  • Michael,

Maybe you could try adding new EXTERN="TRUE" to the SCRIPT -element in the POST STREAM script? This will cause script to be run using x64 command interpreter, as by default it is run in 32-bit interpreter which may screw things around with regards to paths to system directories.

Well, that at least occured to me at a glance..

/Kalle

Monday, July 12, 2010 1:45 PM
  • I'm running into the same problem on an x86 machine. Haven't had a chance to follow znack's suggestion yet, but will be exploring that this week.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 2:41 PM
  • When monitoring begins, the sequencer creates it own permissions on the folder you chose for monitoring so that administrators no longer has full control. To install the console simply create a sub folder during installation where you install the console.

Peter van der Woude has created a great guide to perform this task: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/category/App-V-46.aspx

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 11:43 AM
  • I was able to successfully sequence the SCCM2007 SP2 console with R2, R3 and the R3 hotfix 977384 on Windows 7 x86.

Here are the steps I took to accomplish this:

1.       Upgrade to the latest App-v sequencer 4.6 SP1

2.       Make sure your computer is on your domain

3.       Launch the sequencer and choose custom sequence where you run the installs without the assistance of app-v automatically.

4.       First run SCCM SP2 console HTA file and install it to the default install directory

5.       Next install the R2 update, then the R3 Hotfix, and then the R3 update.

6.       Once the console is installed and everything is the way you want it open C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager Console and copy the contents to your Q:\SCCMCONSOLE directory

7.       Next select the “I am finished installing” and continue with the sequencing.

8.       Once it’s finished you should have the option to run the application to make sure it works. (Note it will state that it is installed to its default install location this is ok)

9.       Once the console opens make sure you can connect to your primary site server and close it out.

10.    When you get to the screen that you can Run, Edit and remove packages remove anything you do not want then choose the ConfigMgr Console and select edit, change the location to the Q:\SCCMCONSOLE directory or whatever you named it and select AdminUI\bin\adminconsole.msc, also make sure to name it ConfigMgr Console.

11.   Click next and finish sequencing like you normally would and then deploy with your normal method of deployment.

I deployed this to my streaming server and it deployed to Two different Windows 7 VDI’s .  I have not tested on 64 bit windows or XP. 

James Snarey
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 4:45 PM
  • that was the solution for me, thanks a lot
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 12:16 PM