PE boot RRS feed

• Question

• I transferred my hard drive from one machine into another. The Hard drive is running windows xp professional. Now whenever I turn on the machine which the HD is in now, it starts to boot into Preinstallation Environment, loads a grey screen with my cursor in the middle of the screen and after about 3-4 seconds it reboots and continues this cycle.

Any help? I have done 4 Factory Image restores already and nothing seems to work.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:53 PM

All replies

• You could try the bootcfg /rebuild command from the recovery console to recover your system but,The new machine has the same hardware as the previous one?

If the new machine has different motherboard and cpu you have to reinstall the whole system manually.

tThis is because windows is motherboard and cpu dependent.

COnsider that you have also to call microsoft phone number to move your license from the previous machine to the new one (in case of retail key) or you have to buy another license (in case of oem).

Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:39 PM
  • Yeah, they are different mobo and cpu. One machine was a Lenovo and one was an Acer which I replaced the motherboard in. When I initially installed the HDD into the "Acer" it did in fact boot up and tell me that before I login I would have to register the product. So it did work, but my mouse and keyboard would not work (both USB) and i know this motherboard works, I've used it. So therefore I could not click OK to register, I manually powered off the machine and then rebooted and it kept booting into the PE. Any thoughts on this part of the story?
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 7:06 PM
  • It won't make any difference if the license is an OEM one.  What does it say on the COA sticker?  Is it an OEM or a Retail license?

I know that XP can be finicky with newly installed USB keyboards/mice.  I had a faulty USB KB and when I got a replacement, it would NOT recognize it no matter what, so I could not login.  This was despite that fact that the BIOS saw the KB, AND despite the fact that it was a Microsoft manufactured KB as well!  I was forced to find an old AT Keyboard and once I was logged on, I could plug in the new USB one and the OS would see it.  After it went through its gyrations, I had no problem with it at all.

As to the WinPE thing, did you try the bootcfg /rebuild?

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 7:12 PM