Windows 8 search not working & cant access control panel RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgraded to windows 8 on my work laptop and all of a sudden the search does not work. Every time I type something into the windows home screen it kicks me out and returns to the home screen. The same happens when i try to get into the control panel, it refuses to let me in and kicks me back to the home screen. I've tried all the solutions I can find with no luck.

Please help me as I cant even access some programs any more if they are not pinned to the home screen. Le me know if you need any more information.

Thank you
    Ian

Friday, April 12, 2013 4:00 PM

Answers

• The same happens when i try to get into the control panel, it refuses to let me in and kicks me back to the home screen.

Try using the Desktop Control Panel to get at the Troubleshooter for search.   (E.g. press Win-X P)  You don't have to use the Control Panel Search bar to do that but it could be interesting to see what your symptom would be if you couldn't.  If that's what you meant by trying to "get into the control panel", instead you could try starting an Administrator Command Prompt (Win-X A) and then entering control.exe in its command line.

Also, I think it's not clear the extent of the symptom.   E.g. so far I think you have only mentioned having problems with Modern UI Fullscreen search features.  So, what about Windows Explorer and its Windows Search?  (Win-E, Ctrl-e)

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:32 AM
    Saturday, April 20, 2013 11:15 PM

All replies

• Try the following command to scan the damaged components.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 7:11 AM
  • Hi thanks for the help but no luck! restarted my laptop after i ran this in command prompt but im still having the same problem; A few letters and it just putrs me back to the home screen

Saturday, April 20, 2013 10:33 PM
  • The same happens when i try to get into the control panel, it refuses to let me in and kicks me back to the home screen.

Try using the Desktop Control Panel to get at the Troubleshooter for search.   (E.g. press Win-X P)  You don't have to use the Control Panel Search bar to do that but it could be interesting to see what your symptom would be if you couldn't.  If that's what you meant by trying to "get into the control panel", instead you could try starting an Administrator Command Prompt (Win-X A) and then entering control.exe in its command line.

Also, I think it's not clear the extent of the symptom.   E.g. so far I think you have only mentioned having problems with Modern UI Fullscreen search features.  So, what about Windows Explorer and its Windows Search?  (Win-E, Ctrl-e)

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:32 AM
    Saturday, April 20, 2013 11:15 PM
  • any solution to this problem? i'm having this exact problem. i have tried Win-X P, but then second later it exit, so no control panel menu can be click. the same thing happened via command promp.

for searching, its no problem when i searched in windows explorer. problem happened when using start screen or modern UI to search. everything i typed just put me back to start screen menu. no apps ever open this way.

and yes i'm a little bit frustrated with this.

• Edited by jampang Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:25 AM adding
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:23 AM
  • tried Win-X P, but then second later it exit, so no control panel menu can be click.

problem happened when using start screen or modern UI to search. everything i typed just put me back to start screen menu.

Looks like a problem with explorer.exe.  Use Event Viewer to check.  Reliability Monitor probably won't work either for you.

Otherwise it looks like you should be able to start a troubleshooter manually.  It is a separate program, even though it looks like it is only launched from the Control Panel dialog.   FWIW here is what ProcExp is showing me about the Search and Indexing one:

"C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdt.exe" -ep TSControlPanel -path C:\WINDOWS\Diagnostics\Index\SearchDiagnostic.xml -context {567BC28B-970D-47F7-9404-7E2575C8FFCE}

So, again, I would try starting that from an elevated cmd window.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 12:34 PM
  • i've tried reliability monitor and below is the technical details shown for the critical events of Explorer.Exe:

Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.2.9200.16433, time stamp: 0x50763130
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16578, time stamp: 0x515fac9c
    Exception code: 0xc0000374
    Fault offset: 0x000ce3da
    Faulting process id: 0x112c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ce7f297de515b4
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 22b9dd20-eb34-11e2-aff1-001e101f119b
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

i got 4 critical events shown from reliability monitor.

i've tried troubleshooter as well.  on the search and indexing, i clicked all four possibility of problems and the reply for it is, "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem". on the windows update i got this two problems which then fixed right away:

• Potential Windows Update Database error detected 0x80070490
    • Windows Update components must be repaired

i've also tried procexp, when i opened control panel i can see werfault.exe comes up under svchost.exe and explorer.exe under winlogon.exe. both comes and go like a flash.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:09 AM
  • i've tried reliability monitor

How did you manage that without getting into Control Panel?

below is the technical details shown for the critical events of Explorer.Exe:

Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.2.9200.16433, time stamp: 0x50763130
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16578, time stamp: 0x515fac9c
    Exception code: 0xc0000374

That Exception code may be useful but in general I think you may need to get a dump you can get a Stack Back Trace from.  E.g. the same diagnostic that drwtsn32.log used to give us.  Crashes in low level modules like this are generally regarded as symptoms from a victim module not a problem one; so a SBT or at least a list of loaded modules may give a clue about an possible interferer you could try to eliminate from your problem scenario.

on the windows update i got this two problems which then fixed right away:

• Potential Windows Update Database error detected 0x80070490
    • Windows Update components must be repaired

I don't follow.  Does "fixed right away" mean that these don't happen any more?  Otherwise I would say the "must be repaired" would probably suggest that you need to find a CheckSUR to run.

i've also tried procexp, when i opened control panel i can see werfault.exe comes up under svchost.exe and explorer.exe under winlogon.exe. both comes and go like a flash.

ProcMon would be a better diagnostic for that.  However, I have found that lately the werfault.exe obscures the crash symptom, whereas ProcMon used to at least give us a pseudo Stack Back Trace of an exception event.  (It still does in every record; it's just not as clear to me where the crash event is.)  So, again, I would say getting a dump associated with that event would probably be the most useful choice.

HTH

Robert
    ---

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, July 25, 2013 2:29 PM
  • i entered perfmon/rel on cmd. its not a problem when i go back to "action center" window from "reliability monitor". but its a problem when i tried go back once more to all control panel. it get closed right away.

fixed right away meant the windows suggest the solution which i then followed.

i dont have any idea how to do stack back trace.

Friday, July 26, 2013 9:35 PM