none
Advice on multiple resources on a single task -Project 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I am working with MS Project Professional 2016. I have set up my global resource sheet with all employees, rates etc. Now during the initial build of the project I am a bit confused on how to set up the plan. Once a job is ready to be built I am handed an estimate sheet with labor hours in two categories (journeyman and helper), costs for materials and anything additional (sub-contractor, engineering, permitting etc.) I can create a WBS but....

Is there a way to set up a task with the estimated hours (lets just say its 1400HRS 750 Journeyman, 650 Helper) and build a sub-task for each resource that will be on that job site? We have multiple employees on the project at any given day but the number is not always the same. For example we can have 3 journeyman working with 2 helpers one day and the next day 2 journeyman and 3 helpers.

My main goal is to be able to keep track of how many hours are used and how many hours are left to use according to the estimate. I have been messing around with the types of tasks but have come up with nothing. The initial build is my issue, entering actual time is something that I will be doing daily or weekly depending on how many projects we have going on at the same time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am stumped!

Thank you,

Mel

Monday, September 26, 2016 8:04 PM

All replies

• Anyone....??
    Thursday, September 29, 2016 11:18 AM
  • I guess what occurs to me that since you say your main goal is to be able keep track of how many hours are used/left by comparison to estimate, would you be better off simply using Excel or some other method to do this arithmetic based on the workers' time-sheets?  Project is great at computing schedules; not so convenient when using it for time tracking.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Thursday, September 29, 2016 12:58 PM
  • Mel, You want to divide the total effort a task between Journeyman and helper. Also, the distributed effort between these two will vary each day on the same task.

Check if my solution helps. I have assumed you have created one resource for each category "Helper", "Journeyman " in Resource Sheet view with max units % indicating the maximum number of resource in each category for the overall project.

1. In Gantt Chart view, enter the total effort for each task in Work field

2. Change your view to Task Usage (View tab).

3. Select the task to which this assignment needs to be made. Click Resource tab, Assign resource. In this dialog, select the Journeyman and Helper resource. Based on how many will work at most on this task, type the Units. For instance if you need 2 Journey man and 3 helpers, type 200% and 300% in Units and assign the resource. 

4. Back in Task Usage, adjust the Work column in the table to distribute the work between resources. If you want the work per day to be distributed, then on the right side (time-phased) edit the hours per day for each assignment.

Let me know if this helps.

Sai PMP, PMI-SP, MCTS Project, MVP Project

Monday, October 3, 2016 10:12 AM
  • I would approach the issue with a slight variation on Sai's answer.  Create the list of tasks adding the relationship between the tasks (predecessor/successor).  Split your screen to show the Task form.  Then assign the resources and enter the work estimates for each resource - 750 hours for the Journeyman, 650 hours for the helper.  Project will calculate the duration of the task based upon the resources and the hours.  If you need to shorten the duration of the task - make sure the task is effort driven (checkbox in the Task Form).  Assign Journeyman2 to the task.  I would create multiple resources Helper1, Helper2 rather than set up max units above 100%.  That way you can take advantage of effort driven scheduling by adding or removing additional resources.

As far as how many hours are used and left to use.  Make sure you save a baseline once you have the schedule built out.  That will preserve the original work, duration, start, finish, and cost (if used) estimates.  You can then enter actual and remaining work on a daily or weekly basis.

Monday, October 3, 2016 1:13 PM