after successful deployment i see a Boot Folder and Boot.mgr file RRS feed

• Question

• hello,

i successfully captured and deployed my captured image to other machines but i noticed under C drive i have a boot folder and boot.mgr file.  Why are these folders here and how can i clean up without messing the Windows 7 x64 VM test?

Thanks

Monday, December 9, 2013 8:34 PM

All replies

• When I saw this issue last it was because I somehow unchecked the "hidden" attribute to those two.  To fix it, I had mount the wim file, re-hide the folder/file, then commit the changes.  When I deployed that same image the issue was no longer there.  You can do the same thing in this instance just give them the hidden attribute.
    Monday, December 9, 2013 9:12 PM
  • thanks for the quick reply.  Under this ref VM, im about to take another syprep and capture so how can i do it in the VM followed by taking a capture?  Do if i need to mount the WIM where do i make these changes.  Im using MDT 2010 to configure my answer file and deploy the image using WDS.

Thanks

Monday, December 9, 2013 9:19 PM
  • So just make it look like you want, in other words hide the boot folder and hide the boot.mgr file (checking the hidden attribute).  When you sysprep it again, it "should" capture that change.

Monday, December 9, 2013 9:34 PM
  • thanks.  I just hid them and will do a capture now.  When creating a deployment task of this new image i dont need to modify any settings in the task properties correct?  
    Monday, December 9, 2013 9:40 PM
  • In regards to the 2 issues you had, no, they should be hidden when you deploy that captured image.
    Monday, December 9, 2013 10:43 PM
  • Boot and boot.mgr are required files for Windows 7 to boot.

During most installations, MDT will create a 2nd "fat32" partition to add boot loader files like this. This is similar to the ntldr files of Windows XP days.

It may be safe to obmit these from the image, MDT should automatically re-add them into the correct location when applying the image on the new client machine.

If you are getting these files, and don't want them, are you creating the 2nd boot partition?

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Monday, December 9, 2013 11:35 PM