SP1 Backup Files RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Mate!

System: Win7 Home Premium 64 bit

Questions

1. After windows successfully installed updates, will it automatically delete the downloaded files? If not, can I manually delete them?

2. SP1 Backup files are using 1 GB of hdd space. Will it slow down system performance or put extra load on the hdd (esp during boot)?

3. When will win7 SP2 be released? Do I have to uninstall SP1 before installing SP2? If not, I think it is safe to delete the SP1 Backup files?

Thanks.

• Changed type Miya Yao Friday, July 29, 2011 6:04 AM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:19 AM

Answers

• 1. Yes and no. It will store files related to the update in the Windows folder, in case you want to un-install that update in the future.  You can delete these 'uninstall' folders, but there is not much to be gained by doing so, and you need to know what you're doing.  Rather leave them alone.

2. No, Windows and PC's don't quite work this way.  The only time performance will suffer is if the files on your hard drive are very fragmented.  Assuming the drive is defragmented, as long as you have about 20% free space on your hard drive, the performance will be the same (even at boot up time) as it would be if you had 90%.  (I hope that made sense).

3. Who knows?  No, you won't have to uninstall SP1 first.  This has never happened with previous O/S's, so I don't see that it should be the case.  If you are happy with the SP1 installation, and have no intention of un-installing it, then, yes, you can delete the backup files.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, July 29, 2011 6:04 AM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 8:15 AM

All replies

• 1. Yes and no. It will store files related to the update in the Windows folder, in case you want to un-install that update in the future.  You can delete these 'uninstall' folders, but there is not much to be gained by doing so, and you need to know what you're doing.  Rather leave them alone.

2. No, Windows and PC's don't quite work this way.  The only time performance will suffer is if the files on your hard drive are very fragmented.  Assuming the drive is defragmented, as long as you have about 20% free space on your hard drive, the performance will be the same (even at boot up time) as it would be if you had 90%.  (I hope that made sense).

3. Who knows?  No, you won't have to uninstall SP1 first.  This has never happened with previous O/S's, so I don't see that it should be the case.  If you are happy with the SP1 installation, and have no intention of un-installing it, then, yes, you can delete the backup files.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, July 29, 2011 6:04 AM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 8:15 AM
  • Thanks.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 3:01 PM