none
Sysprep and Capture TS problems RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to capture the image of a reference machine I have in VirtualBox. I am working in MDT 2012. The first pass on this I initiated the process from the CMD window starting the LiteTouch.wsf from in the scripts folder. This worked to a point, sysprep worked, the VM was rebooted but this failed (VirtualBox Manager failure). I restarted the VM and the PE started and got to creating WIM and a very slow agonizing window showing the percent done. It got to 6% and stopped. I did see the WIM file getting built but it only got to about 1.3GB. Next I tried the same VM, after recreating from a backup, and this time tried booting from a LiteTouch CD as I read is preferred in MDT2012. This failed at Sysprep. Below is the failure report.

Friday, August 1, 2014 5:19 PM

Answers

• Are you using a slow network connection to capture the image? You should have the VM configured for GigaBit between the VM and your MDT Server.

I have had problems with MDT re-running and getting confused when the target *.wim file already exists. Try deleting from the host if you have problems.

IF you still have problems, please post the bdd.log and smsts.log file to a public site like onedrive, and copy the link here.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Saturday, August 2, 2014 1:25 AM

All replies

• Are you using a slow network connection to capture the image? You should have the VM configured for GigaBit between the VM and your MDT Server.

I have had problems with MDT re-running and getting confused when the target *.wim file already exists. Try deleting from the host if you have problems.

IF you still have problems, please post the bdd.log and smsts.log file to a public site like onedrive, and copy the link here.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Saturday, August 2, 2014 1:25 AM
  • I think then the bottleneck is the network itself because the notebook hosting the VM is on a 10/100 port or switch, same for the MDT box. I am probably better off using imageX and getting the WIM that way. Now to figure out how to do that on a VM?? Right now I have the WinPE with imageX on a USB stick or UFD. Maybe have to create a CD. The VirtualBox VM is a bit hard to work with USB unless the VM is already booted, you can't boot from USB. Thanks for the help.
    Saturday, August 2, 2014 1:24 PM