Backup strategy to follow? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear techies,

In our organization SharePoint 2007 is configured for internal portal, there are more that 18 web applications and 100+ sub sites, all these are running in two web servers configured NLB, one content management server and DB is in SQL cluster.

Now the problem is there are lot of custom applications & web parts deployed in SharePoint and there is no track for it, even if we take complete farm backup it is taking only database backup, in case of disaster I think it won’t be enough to build the same infrastructure with only database backup.

Can anybody please suggest the best backup policy that I can use for our environment?

Thanks in advance for your valuable replies.

Thanks | Phani Kumar .B | MCSE
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, May 23, 2011 2:17 PM we need removed from Title. Ask non-personal questions
    Monday, May 23, 2011 1:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The 12 Hive is the moss installation folders where all physical files are kept. Hence you need to back it up.

In the similar way you need to backup virtula directories. Dlls are placed in bin directory and also in GAC.

Hence I suggest you to take backup of C:\Windows\Assembly also to be on safer side.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

• Marked as answer by phani007 Saturday, May 28, 2011 9:48 AM
    Friday, May 27, 2011 10:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

yes the DB backup alone is not enough.

You need to take 12 hive and virtual directory backup also so that in case of disasters you will be able to restore them as well.

I suggest you to take image backup of the front side servers and also take DB bacups.

The DB backups can be incremental and full. I suggest to create DB backup plan and take full backup once a week and incremental daily.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 6:12 AM
  • Dear Rahul,

Thanks for your responce,

DB backup is running daily full backup.

Can you please elaborate more on 12 hive and virtual directory backup, does this backup cover custom dll's as well?

I want to test a recovery in the test server to make sure restore is working.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 7:00 PM
  • Hi,

The 12 Hive is the moss installation folders where all physical files are kept. Hence you need to back it up.

In the similar way you need to backup virtula directories. Dlls are placed in bin directory and also in GAC.

Hence I suggest you to take backup of C:\Windows\Assembly also to be on safer side.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

• Marked as answer by phani007 Saturday, May 28, 2011 9:48 AM
    Friday, May 27, 2011 10:21 AM
  • Hi Rahul,

Thnx for your response, I will take all those backups mentioned by you.

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, May 28, 2011 10:47 AM Original Poster has already closed this thread by marking a reply as the answer. Hence this reply edited to be definite.
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 9:50 AM