none
Cannot Drag Tasks to Timeline or Move Milestone Text Boxes RRS feed

• Question

• Recently something has changed in project meaning I cannot drag and drop tasks from the project directly onto the timeline any more.  In addition I cannot rearrange / drag and drop the text boxes for milestones on the timeline anymore.

Please can someone advise how to solve this issue, as the milestones in my timeline are now unreadable with the text boxes overlaid on top of each other?

Many thanks,

Philip.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 1:37 PM

Answers

• Philip --

The fact that this does not work correctly with your copy of Microsoft Project, but it does work correct with another user's software, makes me think your copy of Microsoft Project needs to be updated.  To do this in Microsoft Project, click File > Account.  In the middle of the page, click the Office Updates pick list button and select the Update Now item.  The system will request permission to close all Office application and then apply any updates you have not already applied.  Please try this and let us know if it resolves your problem. 

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by phn73 Thursday, November 30, 2017 3:22 PM
    Wednesday, November 29, 2017 2:30 PM

All replies

• Philip --

What version of Microsoft Project?  Is your software updated with the latest updates from Microsoft?  Is this problem in one project or all projects?  If you are using Microsoft Project 2016, do you have multiple timelines in the same Timeline view?  Let us know and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 4:11 PM
  • Hi Dale, 

Many thanks for the reply.

The version of Project is project 2016 MSO (16.0.8730.2046).  As far as I know it is fully up to date (it's downloaded via my employers O365 subscription).

The issue affects all projects, if I transfer these projects to a colleagues machine the error does not exist.

I only have one timeline open in the timeline view.

The issue is when I try to drag and drop a milestone text box, instead of moving the text, it just draws a blue box on the timeline as in the below screenshot- the blue box disappears when the mouse button is released.

I have found a "sort of" workaround by copying the timeline into a blank powerpoint and then I can adjust all milestone text boxes positions and tidy the diagram up for distribution - but it doesn't solve the problem of the view in project being messed up.

I have a screenshot of the issue but I cannot attach it to this post, as it says my account is not verified.

Let me know how I could get the screenshot to you if it helps?

Many thanks,

Philip.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 9:09 AM
  • Philip --

The fact that this does not work correctly with your copy of Microsoft Project, but it does work correct with another user's software, makes me think your copy of Microsoft Project needs to be updated.  To do this in Microsoft Project, click File > Account.  In the middle of the page, click the Office Updates pick list button and select the Update Now item.  The system will request permission to close all Office application and then apply any updates you have not already applied.  Please try this and let us know if it resolves your problem. 

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by phn73 Thursday, November 30, 2017 3:22 PM
    Wednesday, November 29, 2017 2:30 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Many thanks indeed - that worked perfectly!

Philip.

Thursday, November 30, 2017 3:22 PM