none
Project 2013 hangs when I click on reschedule to available date RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using a trial of project 2013 and working on my task sheet at the moment.

I did enter all my tasks, set their duration, relationship between them (predecessors) and affected ressources to them. Now when I want to have project to reschedule them for me to an available date it just freeze and hangs there...even if I wait for an hour, nothing happen.

What am I doing wrong here? How can I fix this? I have to restart project and I lose all my changes...

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 6:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I received Sam Ferencik' s file, discovered the error, and created a clean verion, all as follows:

1. I discovered two of the resources had exactly the same name ("SF"). The task generating the problem had one of there as a resource. Only one task (15) was connected to the "double" .

2. I deleted the double and connected task 15 to the Original SF

3. The problem did not disappear. I had to conclude some corruption had been created.

4. I used the most widely known method to clean the file:

5. In the Gantt Chart, insert the column Resource Names. Select all the tasks (by their ID) and Copy. Paste in an empty file. In that file, the problem no longer occurs.

You will all understand I hope, why I ask to see the file. There are so many potential errors that it is not realistic to pick one by chance. PC, Jarrod, I'm willing to look at yours as well.

Greetings,

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 10:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

How big is your project? How many resources do you have?

Can you reproduce the issue:

• on another view (Gantt chart for example)?
    • on a new project containing just a few tasks? 

In case it is specific to the file, it might be corrupted. Then use the XML export repair method explained here.

If the issue can be reproduce on another project, then the MS Project application might be corrupted. Then try to repair it from the control panel.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 6:21 PM
  • I'm not sure if the trial version is patched with service pack 1 for Project 2013.  I would first check to see if you have it installed.  If not, install it.

See: 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2817433/en-us

for information about how to see if SP-1 is installed and how to install if it is not.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 6:27 PM
  • I'm not sure if the trial version is patched with service pack 1 for Project 2013.  I would first check to see if you have it installed.  If not, install it.

See: 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2817433/en-us

for information about how to see if SP-1 is installed and how to install if it is not.

the trial version is patched with the SP1, so it can't be that.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 9:15 PM
  • Hi,

How big is your project? How many resources do you have?

Can you reproduce the issue:

• on another view (Gantt chart for example)?
    • on a new project containing just a few tasks? 

I was using only three ressources, and it wasn't a very big project (like 25 tasks).

I did create a new project and it didn't help to solve it - I can reschedule some tasks without problems, but some will always freeze project and I can't find out why.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 9:19 PM
  • mine does the same thing.  I can usually do 1 or 2 reschedules, but then it will ultimately hang.  When it does, the bottom infobar towards the lower right will says "leveling;" but nothing happens

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 9:19 PM
  • I have the same problem. The project is new, and not big at all. My version is the full one (with SP1) off of MSDN Subscriber Downloads.

Sam

Sunday, September 7, 2014 6:14 PM
  • Hi,

I'm curious because I've never seen this. Can you send me the file at

jandemesATprom-ade.be  ; I' ll do some tests.

(Replace AT by @)

Monday, September 8, 2014 9:34 AM
  • Same thing happens to me with about 50 tasks and 1 resource. I am using Project 2013 Professional (i.e. not a trial version) on Windows 8.1 Enterprise.

I click 'Reschedule to an Available Date' and the Status Bar reads 'Leveling' and the application hangs and does not recover.

Same thing happens when clicking on 'Resource/Level Resource' or on 'Task/Move/When Resources are Available'.

• Edited by Jarrod-Avanade Monday, September 8, 2014 11:08 AM More information
    Monday, September 8, 2014 11:00 AM
  • Hi,

I received Sam Ferencik' s file, discovered the error, and created a clean verion, all as follows:

1. I discovered two of the resources had exactly the same name ("SF"). The task generating the problem had one of there as a resource. Only one task (15) was connected to the "double" .

2. I deleted the double and connected task 15 to the Original SF

3. The problem did not disappear. I had to conclude some corruption had been created.

4. I used the most widely known method to clean the file:

5. In the Gantt Chart, insert the column Resource Names. Select all the tasks (by their ID) and Copy. Paste in an empty file. In that file, the problem no longer occurs.

You will all understand I hope, why I ask to see the file. There are so many potential errors that it is not realistic to pick one by chance. PC, Jarrod, I'm willing to look at yours as well.

Greetings,

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 10:50 AM
  • Jan,

Thank you, that's very helpful.

Best regards,

Sam

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 10:35 PM
  • Jan,

I'm having the same problem again, after following the clean-up steps described by you. I'm inclined to think that this is unrelated to the resource name clash, and is some oddity (possibly a bug) in MS Project.

I can, of course, clean up again as you've proposed before. Unfortunately, that only copies the task and not the other project properties (like working time etc.)

Thanks,

Sam

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 10:26 PM
  • Sam,

Could be a bug, yes. Best advice may be to not use the button "... to available date" but Leveling itself; In the forums I've never heard this would hang (except in Project 2000 but that is long ago)

Greetings,

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 7:17 AM
  • I have the same problem. New project, not very big (~10 main tasks, 30 subtasks, four resources). Unfortunately an NDA prevents me from disclosing the file.

This happens whether I left-click and choose the "Reschedule..." option, or open the task inspector and choose "Reschedule...". It simply doesn't want to reschedule tasks without hanging.
    • Edited by MusicPapa Tuesday, October 21, 2014 5:53 PM
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 4:00 PM
  • Hi,

Did you try resource leveling instead of ... to available date;..?

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 4:54 PM
  • Resource leveling worked, for awhile. Now it, too, causes Project to hang. Same for another Project file I use.

Searching around I see a lot of people in the same boat. Clearly this is a bug that isn't very obscure. It'd be nice if Microsoft were to track down the source, because it's nearly unusable to me as is.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 7:25 PM
  • It is tempting to arrive at the conclusion that this is a bug in the software rather than a glitch built in by the user, perhaps by some simple mistake such as non-unique resource names. But it does not help to solve a problem which might still be solvable, or fix a file that might still be fixable. Over the last two decades there have been many examples of apparent bugs, and the vast majority have turned out to be not bugs at all, but more often a matter of how the software has been used in some way that was "creative" but not anticipated in the software design. I would readily bet that if you supply Jan with the file he will fix the file, but your NDA appears to be the obstacle to further progress.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2014 11:50 PM
  • Hi,

If yo change all your task's names to T and resources' names to R1,R2, etc, even setting their costs to 0, is the file still NDA? So I repeat:

jandemesATprom-ade.be  ; I' ll do some tests.

(Replace AT by @)

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 3:03 PM
  • MusicPapa,

MVP Jack Dahlgren has a macro that will remove proprietary data from your file as Jan suggests. Go to, http://masamiki.com/project/macros.htm and take a look at Jack's "Scrub" macro. I also have a macro that goes even a little further than Jack's Scrub macro.

John

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 3:26 PM
  • I am seeing similar behavior myself.  For a specific task, if i reduce the duration and do a 'Level All' Project hangs.  I am using Project 2013 x86 version 15.0.4569.1504 and MSO version 15.0.4675.1002.

I can share the file via email (I don't see a way to post attachments here).

Thanks!

Saturday, January 3, 2015 11:31 PM
  • Okay, I figured out what was causing this for me.  I had a resource I had defined as available only 50% of the time in Resource Information->Resource Availability.  But, I had that resource allocated 100% of the time to a task.  It gives me a warning that it can't resolve this overallocation, and then hangs.  When I allocate the resource 50% to the task, it works great.

Sunday, January 4, 2015 1:55 AM