Windows Restrictions and Feature Restrictions in Steady State RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I have a genuine version of Windows XP Pro for Embedded Systems with SP2.

I just migrated to SP3 and as part of that installed Steady State.

When I launch the Steady state, the console lets me create the users.

When I click on one user I just created and browse through the General, Windows Restrictions, Feature Restrictions and Block Programs tab I see that Windows Restrictions and Feature Restrictions tabs are empty.

The Block Programs Tab and the General Tab are fine.

When I goto the Block Programs Tab I'm able to define the programs I need to be blocked.

When I go to the General Tab I'm able to set the password, change picture and all other options available on that tab.

Cannot figure out why I the Windows Restrictions and Feature Restrictions Tabs are empty. Even if I change the restrictions level in that tab to like High, Medium, Low, No it does not make a difference.

As an experiment I installed SteadyState on a regular Windows XP Pro with SP2.Steady State works fine on this machine. All the tabs display all the options and everything works fine.

Any thoughts?

Chalam

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 8:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Chalam,

If we remove SteadyState according to the process in our handbook, there should be no issues occur.

Windows SteadyState 2.5 Handbook

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=f829bb8b-c7a9-426b-a7a4-2b504a6238d2&displaylang=en

I believe that the issue would not occur after reinstalling.

However, we have not confirmed that if Windows SteadyState works properly with Ghost image. Maybe there are some mistakes when you make the image so Windows SteadyState is corrupt. If this issue occurs again at the next time you make a image and deploy it on the computer, we may consider that Ghost is not fully compatible with Windows SteadyState.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This behavior occurs of certain components of Windows SteadyState are lost or corrupt. You may reinstall Windows SteadyState to fix this issue.

If the issue persists after reinstalling, boot in Clean Boot Mode and check if the issue still occurs.

Clean boot

=================

Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start->Run, type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the opened box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 8:37 AM
  • Arthur:

Appreciate the info.

I did the following:

When I tried to uninstall Steady State I get a message that SP3 might not function correctly.Can I uninstall SteadyState when running on XP SP3? I thought that Steady State is needed for SP3.

So I just ran in the Cleanboot environment and that did not fix the problem. I still have my Windows and Feature Restrictions Tab empty.

So I tried the below:

1) I uninstalled SP3. That put me back to SP2.

2) I uninstalled Steady State and reinstalled it. Bingo. That worked. All my tabs were completely populated.

The Windows XP Pro for Embedded Systems Image I'm using is Ghost Restored Image. I did not install the OS off the Microsoft CD.

I was thinking that since it is a Ghost Restored Image may the Genuine Windows Validation component was not letting Steady State run correctly. I validated the Image from the Microsoft website and then attempted to use Steady State. No luck.

My end goal is to make the Steady State usable off the Ghost Image running SP3.

Regards,

Chalam

Thursday, November 20, 2008 3:50 PM
  • Hi Chalam,

If we remove SteadyState according to the process in our handbook, there should be no issues occur.

Windows SteadyState 2.5 Handbook

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=f829bb8b-c7a9-426b-a7a4-2b504a6238d2&displaylang=en

I believe that the issue would not occur after reinstalling.

However, we have not confirmed that if Windows SteadyState works properly with Ghost image. Maybe there are some mistakes when you make the image so Windows SteadyState is corrupt. If this issue occurs again at the next time you make a image and deploy it on the computer, we may consider that Ghost is not fully compatible with Windows SteadyState.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:03 AM