Problems with Sigmatel HD Audio Driver + Vista RTM RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently running Vista RTM on Dell M90.  The machine have Sigmatel STAC 92 HD Sound Card.  Its been working fine using the MS drivers apart from not able to use the subwoofer speaker.

Dell have recently released the Sigmatel Stac 92xx C-Major HD Audio Driver v6.10.0.5290, A01 for Vista.  Everything seems to working fine using this driver apart from when listening to music using Windows media Player.  Whenever you play a music file, it takes around 4-5 second before it start playing, if i have a few track on the playlist, just about 20 second before the end of each track, the sound get very jerky for a few sound.  This seems to happens when playing wma or mp3 files, wav or mid seems ok.

When this happen at the start of a track or when it reach the last 20 second of the track, svchost.exe process jump up from 0 to around 50% CPU.  The process appears to be part of "PlugPlay" and "DcomLaunch" services.

This problem happens everytime with WMP.  No problem when playing with other media player.

Anyone have any idea?  Thanks..

Tuesday, December 26, 2006 2:32 AM

All replies

• Hi

I have the same problem - by default Vista picked up my integrated soundcard as a generic High Definition card, except Skype kept complaining.

So I installed the new driver from Dell's site - now I get periodically choppy playback.

Is there a solution?

Mark.
    Tuesday, January 23, 2007 6:47 PM
  • Yea, i worked out the problem and found a way round it.  I must have posted solutions over at Dell forum.
    Anyway, if you go to control panel > Sound.  (Or right click your speaker icon; bottom right taskbar)  Select "Speaker" option of your sound card under "Playback" > Properties > Enhancements > Disable all enhancements.
    That seems to have solved my problem.

I still gets very slight clicking sound when using SPDIF output, to solve that... just turn your speaker up. 

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 10:19 PM