New build, boot failures on each drive. Can't start vista 64-bit RRS feed

• Question

• I just built a computer for a family member today and have not run into such a brick wall before. I have built many computers in the past, so any technical advise is welcome.

Zotac N73V with 610i chipset
    Intel 2.53ghz Core 2 Duo
    pqi 2GB (2x1gig) PC5400
    Seagate 250GB HDD

Essentially my problem is that I'm not getting beyond BIOS with this machine. When booting from CD (Vista 64-bit disc), Windows loads the files, but once the bar completes and would normally load the GUI screen, I get blue-screened with STOP:0x7E. Using my own computer, I've narrowed down the problem to a few things. I tried my working RAM and there was no change. I replaced my hard drive with the new one and successfully installed vista from my machine and reached the desktop. Then, I returned the hard drive to the new computer and tried booting from it. This results in an instant crash after bios (black screen). When booting in safe mode, it reaches crcdisk.sys before hanging. I've noticed this is a common spot to hang, but most situations weren't quite this dire.

I began to think the problem was the motherboard. After waiting about 3 hours and turning it on again, I tried just booting windows normally. I was surprised to see the green loading bar, then the windows emblem in the center, and then the mouse icon with the loading circle around it. Then, just as it about got to the desktop, it crashed. The fact that it got that far made me think the issue may be software related rather than hardware, but I also checked temperatures to make sure the processor wasn't overheating, which it wasn't.

That is my current situation. I have tried unplugging the hard drive and booting from disc, and unplugging DVD drive and booting from HDD, but the result is the same. I have also tried lowering RAM frequencies and enabling ACPI. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 8:16 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Pythagoras, I would like to suggest using another new hard drive on the new computer to setup the system and see if the issue still occurs. If you still receive stop error, we need to debug/analysis the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

You can also submit service request via the following link to get free email support:

https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11274&gprid=500921

Thursday, July 31, 2008 6:34 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Pythagoras, I would like to suggest using another new hard drive on the new computer to setup the system and see if the issue still occurs. If you still receive stop error, we need to debug/analysis the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

You can also submit service request via the following link to get free email support:

https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11274&gprid=500921

Thursday, July 31, 2008 6:34 AM
  • Thank you for the suggestion Sean, but I ran tests on the new hard drive (which it passed) as well as successfully installed vista without a problem using my own computer, so I feel confident that it is not the issue. I can understand why you suspect the hard drive though since it seems to crash just before it would read or write to the HDD. I'll try using a different SATA cable and possibly another hard drive if I can repartition my linux HDD.

I also attempted installing 32-bit Windows XP with a similar crash immediately following the loading of setup files.

Today, I tried using a video card rather than the integrated video on the motherboard since it seemed like it was crashing right before any graphical content, but was disappointed yet again. I've concluded that besides the HDD options mentioned above, I have a faulty motherboard since the only other possibility is the processor, and the chance of getting a faulty processor is slim to none. I was unfamiliar with the brand and took a chance with a cheap motherboard, so I'm not overly surprised that it's faulty. I will RMA the motherboard if the hard drive changes have no effect.

I could never spend money for support on software that I just spent over $100 for; that's as outrageous as it gets. Though it's nice that there's an email option.
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 7:25 AM