none
Dates not recalculating RRS feed

• Question

• I have several tasks with certain durations.  I have subsequent tasks that are dependent on the former.  If I shortend the duration of the first task I would expect that the dependent tasks would then be able to start sooner -- and the "Start / End" dates would change.

But they don't (always) change.  Why is that and how to I rectify it?

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 5:20 PM

All replies

• Movements,

Please see the following reference and if that doesn't answer you question, then post back with more information.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/30143.ms-project-why-a-successor-task-s-start-date-may-not-directly-follow-a-predecessor-task-s-finish-date.aspx

John

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 5:31 PM
  • Movements --

Are you using Manually Scheduled tasks, by chance?  If so, that is why you are seeing this behavior.  If you are using Auto Scheduled tasks, two other factors could cause the dependent tasks' Start dates to remain constant:

• You have a constraint such as Start No Earlier Than (SNET) applied to the dependent tasks, which would prevent them from starting earlier.
    • You have an Actual Start date applied to one or more of the dependent tasks.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 6:25 PM
  • Movements --

Just thought of another reason why dependent tasks would not start earlier if a Predecessor duration changes:  Leveling Delays imposed through the process of leveling resource overallocations in the project.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 6:27 PM