Error when importing Operating System into MDT 2013 Update 1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I am getting an error when importing an operating system into my deployment share.

Performing the operation “import” on target “Operating system”.
    Creating new item named REFW81X64CDrive in Windows 8.1×64 REFW81X64.wim at DS002:\Operating Systems.
    Creating new item named REFW81X64CDrive in Windows 8.1×64 REFW81X64.wim at DS002:\Operating Systems.
    Item already exists: ‘E:\MDT\DEPLOYMENT\Operating Systems\REFW81X64CDrive in Windows 8.1×64.wim’ specified.
    Import processing finished.

It says item already exists ” specified. Can you please tell me what is happening??

I have done abit of research and some people are saying to remove the tag of the operating system from the Operatingsystems.xml in the control folder in your deployment share. I have tried this buyt it still is failing.

Some please help!

Thursday, November 5, 2015 5:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Guys,

I am getting an error when importing an operating system into my deployment share.

Performing the operation “import” on target “Operating system”.
    Item already exists: ‘E:\MDT\DEPLOYMENT\Operating Systems\REFW81X64CDrive in Windows 8.1×64.wim’ specified.
    Import processing finished.

It says item already exists ” specified. Can you please tell me what is happening??

I have done abit of research and some people are saying to remove the tag of the operating system from the Operatingsystems.xml in the control folder in your deployment share. I have tried this buyt it still is failing.

Some please help!

• Merged by Leo Han Friday, November 6, 2015 8:55 AM duplicated
    Thursday, November 5, 2015 5:43 AM
  • Does it show in your operating systems folder somewhere?  If not you might look at Control\OperatingSystems.xml

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Thursday, November 5, 2015 7:18 AM
  • No the operating systems folder is empty once i delete the old one. i checked it before i tried to import the wim. i also checked operatingsystems.xml and it had no record of the OS at all.

Thursday, November 5, 2015 9:47 PM
  • Hi,

Have you had any luck with this?

I'm having the same issue and I've spent hours trying to solve it. Don't really know what to do, would appreciate any help.

Thank you

Saturday, February 6, 2016 12:51 AM
  • Either the file already exists or the OS is already referenced in .\Control\OperatingSystems.XML/OSGroups.XML (don't remember the name of the second one off the top of my head).

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Saturday, February 6, 2016 2:34 AM
  • I'm having this same problem.  The files don't exist in the Operating System folder, nor is there a reference in any XML files.  Anyone have any other ideas?  Or has someone solved this?
    Friday, July 29, 2016 5:13 PM
  • Nevermind.  I figured it out.  My capture process was just injecting my WIM with another image index, instead of overwriting the WIM.  So my Windows 10 x64 WIM for instance had 6 image indexes, and when importing into MDT it said it couldn't create an image index because one already existed.  So it was using an older reference build (couple weeks old) and was driving me nuts.  Deleted the old image indexes and it imported into MDT just fine and I was able to deploy it.  Also, going forward I will just delete my WIM out of capture before capturing again from a VM.  
    Friday, July 29, 2016 7:07 PM
  • Same Problem here...

Would you describe how do you delete the old Image Indexes? I have no Idea how to do that.

Thank you very much!

Friday, August 19, 2016 6:40 AM
  • Same problem too, any  chance of the request above about how to delete the old image indexes?
    Thursday, September 15, 2016 3:51 PM
  • When you capture make sure you aren't appending to the old file name.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Thursday, September 15, 2016 5:36 PM