Proposed DPM solution RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I would like your opinion on my proposed DPM solution.

We are currently backing up onto a external USB drives using Windows backup,This backs up two Hyper -V servers and their VM's.

So far i have managed to setup a primary DPM stand-alone server that has a E-Sata drive attached as its storage pool.  I created  a Protection group for testing and it all worked fine. 

Next I plan to do the following:

-Setup two protection groups(critical and non-critical) to backup my servers

-Obtain a decent  external E-Sata chassis to host my 4 2TB drives in raid 5

-I currently have almost 3TB data(Exchange,SQL,Sharepoint,CRM,files) so will 6TB be enough?

-After initial sync i will be moving my primary server to an offsite location connected to our LAN via wireless at +-50Mb. As far as i understand it uses blocked based changes so this should be quick enough?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks

Kyle

Friday, June 17, 2011 1:57 PM

All replies

• -I currently have almost 3TB data(Exchange,SQL,Sharepoint,CRM,files) so will 6TB be enough?

-After initial sync i will be moving my primary server to an offsite location connected to our LAN via wireless at +-50Mb. As far as i understand it uses blocked based changes so this should be quick enough?

Whether 6TB will be enough will depend on the frequency and depth of your backup jobs. 

For example, keeping recovery points daily or hourly for 60 days will require more space for recovery point volumes than weekly for 4 weeks.  You can create a protection group and try different combinations of these parameters to see what DPM will suggest as the *minimum* required space for your replica and recovery point volumes.  Note that based on the resources being backed up that these minimums may not be enough and you may be required to extend one or more of the volumes later or reduce the parameters if space is not available. 

Also it makes a big difference whether you're using server agents or host agents (assuming you have virtual machines), both in the required DPM storage pool and the necessary bandwidth between the protected resources and the DPM server.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 5:36 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Brandon. 

I am planning on having two protection groups with the following retention policies:

Critical protection Group

File Data

·        synchronization frequency

o   Every 15 Minutes Monday to Friday

·        recovery point schedule

o   2AM and 2PM

·        retention range

o   10 Days

Application Data

.     o   Every 15 Minutes

o   2AM and 2PM

·        retention range

o   10 Days

Non-Critical Protection Group

File Data

o   12PM Daily

o   12AM Daily

·        retention range

o   1 Day

Application Data

o   Every 12 Hours

o   2AM and 2PM

·        retention range

o   1 Days

I was planning to install server agents on on both the hosts and the vm's. what is the best practice for backing up the hosts and vm's?

Thanks

Kyle

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:28 AM