conundrum - PXE boot fails vs. "reinstall OS from software center" succeeds RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All.

I am facing a bit of a conundrum..

In our offices I am seeing some strange behaviour when trying to PXE boot into a TS to reinstall or install OS. 

If I use F12/PXE boot then the deployment fails during OSD.

If I take a client (the same client as I tried pxe booting with) that is fully installed and reinstall OS via software center then the deployment completes. 

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Kindest regards, Martin

Friday, October 3, 2014 9:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It depends on how the TS looks like, what is the error i you are getting? anything in the SMSTS.log?

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Friday, October 3, 2014 9:15 AM
  • It fails at step: Apply Operating system  - Windows 7 64-bit with error code: 0x80070002

Logs from X:\smstslog show nothing at all.. :-|

I can upload the logs if needed... 

are there any other logs I should be looking at?

Kindest regards, Martin

Friday, October 3, 2014 9:53 AM
  • Ok, sitting with the client I discovered the following..

When it fails and I do an F8 to get a cmd and I check ipconfig I get:

169.... meaning the client hasn't received an IP Address. 

Then if I do an ipconfig /renew... I get an IP.. 

This is ONLY during pxe boot and at the step where it starts applying the OS .

thoughts?

Kindest regards, Martin

Friday, October 3, 2014 11:20 AM
  • You are looking at the right log but not at the right location :

SMSTS.log location varies depending on the steps :

http://richardbalsley.com/location-of-smsts-log-when-using-configuration-manager-operating-system-deployment

Maybe a nic driver problem that's not included in your Boot image (I doubt it because you have an IP manually), check the right log and you'll have your answer.

Benoit Lecours | Blog: System Center Dudes

Friday, October 3, 2014 11:26 AM
  • Due to the DHCP not working immediately. I would think it's caused by a missing/old NIC driver in your WinPE bootimage. Try adding the newest driver and updating the distribution points with the new image.

Also go through your DHCP settings. Does it fail on other laptop models also?.

If you want to rule out it being a problem with the drivers or imagefile, open a command prompt during the PXE boot in WinPE (F8). Try to apply the image manually - Map the folder with net use V: \\sccmservername\pathtoyourimage.wim\ - Have an imagex.exe from the Windows 7/8 AIK in the same share and try to apply it:

imagex.exe /apply V:\windowsimage.Wim

If you cant map the drive i would look further into NIC driver problems.

All the best, Jesper Hassing - MCTS SCCM 2012 - MCSA 2012 Server - MCP

Friday, October 3, 2014 12:01 PM
  • Hi Jesper

You might be on to something..

however.. I can move the same client to a specific network and everything works.. so it's 95% of all network outlets where client install won't work.. but the last 5% it does..

it fails on ALL computers I try with

Kindest regards, Martin

Friday, October 3, 2014 12:32 PM
  •  I am with Jesper its not getting a network connection.  Can you succeed with other workstation models?  Are you positive that the correct network drivers are in the boot file?  
    Sunday, October 5, 2014 6:14 PM
  • It's not uncommon to see this very same issue in older buildings. Network ports and cabling can develop issues over time. If the task sequence works 95% of the time just leave it alone. After all will you be likely to rebuild your entire estate in-situ any time soon?

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Sunday, October 5, 2014 6:21 PM
  • Hi Martin,

Are your clients VMs?

Install netmon on DHCP server. Capture DHCP broadcast during PXE boot. This may help address weather the issue on client side or server side.

Monday, October 6, 2014 6:50 AM
  • Daniel:

Clients are both laptops & desktops.

I "feels" like it's the network that's acting up but I really can't see where. 

PXE boot works.. it's not until it tries to apply the OS... 

whether it's a timeout or what it is I cannot say.. 

Gerry: After all will you be likely to rebuild your entire estate in-situ any time soon?

You know... we are actually On the verge" of upgrading & Streamlining our entire network infrastructure.. :-)

But I'd still love to solve the problem.. 

We never had this issue when we only had MDT as deployment tool. 

it's not until sccm came into the picture that this issue has arisen.

Kindest regards, Martin

Monday, October 6, 2014 12:10 PM
  • Hi Again, was gone over the weekend.

I've seen issues before where it had something to do with Spanning-Tree(STP) / Portfast on the Network switches.

Maybe you  could look further into this.

Do you have any IP dhcp helper setup on your Network?

All the best, Jesper Hassing - MCTS SCCM 2012 - MCSA 2012 Server - MCP

Monday, October 6, 2014 1:21 PM