Exchange Dial Tone Recovery - replay restored logs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a customer who lost ALL Exchange 2010 Databases.

I have created dial-tone databases.

I have created recovery databases and restored the DB's and the logs.

My question:

How and when to replay logs into the RDB's?

BR
    Steen

Saturday, April 13, 2013 2:19 PM

Answers

• I'm not sure.

I don't want to mess anything up now. The DialTone databases and the Recovery Databases have been merged, and the RDB has been deleted.

That gives me the enw production databases with a 3 days gap. (from last full backup to the dialtone was created).

I have transaction logs for those missing days.

But is it too late to replay them?

BR
    Steen

Sorry, You wont be able to replay logs from the original database into the dial tone database. You can only replay logs into the original database that generated those logs.

Twitter!:

• Marked as answer by steenpedersen Sunday, April 14, 2013 3:32 PM
    Sunday, April 14, 2013 3:14 PM
  • So you had a full backup and transaction logs up to the point of failure?

In that case, you should have simply copied all the logs from the production log directory into the RDB directory where you restored the full backup. Within the Backup Exec program, you would check the box to Commit the logs ( Or whatever term they use). That would have signaled BE to run a hard recovery and replay the logs into that full restore. No need to run any manual eseutil recovery steps if you do that.

If you did that and BE didnt work right, and you have the Full backup still and the logs, you can try  it again and restore to the RDB and see if those messages show up in the RDB  - then merge those missing messages back into the production database. If BE isnt working right, then I would contact Symantec Support.

Twitter!:

• Marked as answer by steenpedersen Sunday, April 14, 2013 5:46 PM
    Sunday, April 14, 2013 4:31 PM

All replies

• Have a look at this:

http://exchangeserverpro.com/restore-individual-mailbox-exchange-2010/

OM (MCITP) | Blog

Saturday, April 13, 2013 2:40 PM
  • thanks but not what I'm looking for.

I have now swapped the databases and all mails are back - FROM LAST FULL.

I have all the logs, how to replay them? esetutil /what? :-)

BR

Steen

Saturday, April 13, 2013 3:26 PM
  • It' already mentioned in the article.

ESEUTIL /r enn /L[path to log files] /s[path to checkpoint file] /d[path to database file] /i

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997761%28v=exchg.65%29.aspx

https://www.simple-talk.com/sysadmin/exchange/exchange-server-log-file-replay/

OM (MCITP) | Blog

Saturday, April 13, 2013 4:16 PM
  • It didn't work

But why is EVERY article about dirty shutdown? I have a clean shutdown from last full, and a lot of logs taken bare incremental backup.

BR
    Steen

Saturday, April 13, 2013 4:25 PM
  • Do you get any error?

What command you used?

Generally, once you restore .edb from backup, it remain in dirty shutdown state.

OM (MCITP) | Blog

Saturday, April 13, 2013 4:33 PM
  • This one comes in as clean shutdown and can be mounted without any problems.

The only thing is that all the logs from the last couple of days is in a _restoredlogs folder with a E00restore.env file and a lot of logs.

I think I need to replay all those logs?

Saturday, April 13, 2013 4:34 PM
  • Yes, first check the consistency of the restored logs.

eseutil /ml D:\Recovery\E_\Logs\EX201\Exx

Then, replay these logs on the database in question.

eseutil /r Exx /i /l D:\Recovery\E_\Logs\EX201 /d 'D:\Recovery\D_\Data\EX201\Mailbox Database EX2 01.edb'

OM (MCITP) | Blog

Saturday, April 13, 2013 4:39 PM
  • It's running :-)

Be right back :-)
    Saturday, April 13, 2013 4:45 PM
  • Completed succesfully - but no data since last full in the mailboxes.

Saturday, April 13, 2013 4:56 PM
  • You have to restore all the logs from last full backup and replay them.

This may require restoring multiple incremental backups taken after last full backup.

OM (MCITP) | Blog

Saturday, April 13, 2013 5:02 PM
  • All the logs are restored, they are in the _restoredlogs folder for every database. Their timestamp is for the missing dates :-)
    Saturday, April 13, 2013 5:10 PM
  • I think one work around which will help. Can you arrange quest recovery software tools (My be download for evaluation) and try to replay logs with this.

Once you have raw EDB and raw log files in a single folder and run Quest recovery tool, it automatically replay all possible healthy logs and make EDB healthy for recent dates.

Anil MCC 2011,ITIL V3,MCSA 2003,MCTS 2010, My Blog : http://messagingschool.wordpress.com

Saturday, April 13, 2013 5:31 PM
  • That could be a way, thanks.

I am thinking in another. The customer is using backup exec, and it will restore single items. So maybe I just will restore every single mailbox and tell it "no duplicates". Then the missing data must show up :-)

BR
    Steen
    Saturday, April 13, 2013 5:36 PM
  • All the logs are restored, they are in the _restoredlogs folder for every database. Their timestamp is for the missing dates :-)

Try this:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998097%28v=exchg.65%29.aspx

PS: Make a copy of the .edb before performing this.

OM (MCITP) | Blog

Saturday, April 13, 2013 6:02 PM
  • it fails :-)

Operation terminated with error -939586631 (The restore environment information.....

Saturday, April 13, 2013 6:13 PM
  • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328639/EN-US

OM (MCITP) | Blog

Saturday, April 13, 2013 6:25 PM
  • It also fails :-)

Thanks for trying to help me out.

So right now I have the Recovery Databases as production databases and I am restoring from the dial tones now.

That gives me a lot of mailboxes with a mails missing for 3 days since last full backup :-)

I think I will give Backup Exec a try next. I will let it restore every single mailbox with all items and check the "no duplicate".

BR
    Steen

Saturday, April 13, 2013 6:43 PM
  • Hmm Backup Exec can only restore to last full. The rest comes in as _restoredlogs.

I really dont get it. It must be possible to replay those logs? But nothing works.

BR
    Steen
    Sunday, April 14, 2013 7:32 AM
  • Can do a fresh restore of .edb from last Full backup and follow this KB once again to perform recovery?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998097%28v=exchg.65%29.aspx

OM (MCITP) | Blog

Sunday, April 14, 2013 10:05 AM
  • I'm not sure.

I don't want to mess anything up now. The DialTone databases and the Recovery Databases have been merged, and the RDB has been deleted.

That gives me the enw production databases with a 3 days gap. (from last full backup to the dialtone was created).

BR
    Steen

Sunday, April 14, 2013 10:38 AM
  • Agree, without messing further, open a case with MS and seek their advice.

OM (MCITP) | Blog

Sunday, April 14, 2013 2:26 PM
  • I'm not sure.

BR
    Steen

Sorry, You wont be able to replay logs from the original database into the dial tone database. You can only replay logs into the original database that generated those logs.

Twitter!:

• Marked as answer by steenpedersen Sunday, April 14, 2013 3:32 PM
    Sunday, April 14, 2013 3:14 PM
  • Thanks. A lot of wasted hours :-)

So in a dial-tone recovery it is not possible to use the incremental? Only full?

BR
    Steen
    Sunday, April 14, 2013 3:34 PM
  • Thanks. A lot of wasted hours :-)

So in a dial-tone recovery it is not possible to use the incremental? Only full?

BR
    Steen

You wouldnt be able to restore a previous backup of a different database into a another ( Dialtone or otherwise) with incrementals or full. All you could do with a full backup is overwrite the dialtone database ( and lose any changes made in that dialtone.) Thats why you have to use the recovery database in these scenarios and then merge them with New-MailboxRestoreRequest which moves the content of the mailboxes from one store to another.

Its possible that a GRT restore using Symantec could move the items from the original backup into the new database using essentially the concepts as New-MailboxRestoreRequest, but you would have to ask Symantec about that.

Twitter!:

Sunday, April 14, 2013 3:41 PM
  • But that what I did.

Dial Tones and rehome users.

Recovery DBs and restore last full

Swap DBs and restore DialTone into Recovery.

From there I had a gap between the last full until the dialtone was created.

BR
    Steen

Sunday, April 14, 2013 4:06 PM
  • So you had a full backup and transaction logs up to the point of failure?

In that case, you should have simply copied all the logs from the production log directory into the RDB directory where you restored the full backup. Within the Backup Exec program, you would check the box to Commit the logs ( Or whatever term they use). That would have signaled BE to run a hard recovery and replay the logs into that full restore. No need to run any manual eseutil recovery steps if you do that.

If you did that and BE didnt work right, and you have the Full backup still and the logs, you can try  it again and restore to the RDB and see if those messages show up in the RDB  - then merge those missing messages back into the production database. If BE isnt working right, then I would contact Symantec Support.

Twitter!:

• Marked as answer by steenpedersen Sunday, April 14, 2013 5:46 PM
    Sunday, April 14, 2013 4:31 PM
  • Okay, thanks.

That makes sense.

I think this is where we failed. Some checkmark has been missing. Now it is too late. But we learned.

I just tried this with the Public Folder database, and it worked like a charm.

Thanks again.

BR
    Steen

Sunday, April 14, 2013 5:43 PM