Strange clock error RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Vista on my desktop and I have run into a bizarre error.  The clock keeps drifting by hours in a day. 

I have it syncing with our local time server and it still drifts badly.  I know that it isn't a hardware issue per se, because my other distributions on this box work fine.  Any suggestions?  Any KBs that I missed in my searches?  What info do you need?

Thanks in advance.
    Monday, January 29, 2007 10:36 PM

Answers

• You might have an issue with your BIOS, try to adjust your clock from there and notice the activity over BIOS for some time, if still occurs, so your realtime clock in BIOS has issues.

Good luck

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 7:29 PM
  •  mtgarden wrote:
    Well, you were right.  I had assumed that my bios was fine as I had been using SuSE 10.1 which updates the bios clock regularly.  Vista does not update it as regularly (and was having trouble talking to our time server) and apparently allowed the clock to drift. 

After a couple of hours in Vista, I rebooted to linux and my clock was off in linux.  This was suprising, but seems to verify that it is a hardware issue.

Thanks.

You're welcome, feel free to ask us any problem you face using Windows Vista.

Good luck

Saturday, February 3, 2007 2:39 PM

All replies

• You might have an issue with your BIOS, try to adjust your clock from there and notice the activity over BIOS for some time, if still occurs, so your realtime clock in BIOS has issues.

Good luck

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 7:29 PM
  • Well, you were right.  I had assumed that my bios was fine as I had been using SuSE 10.1 which updates the bios clock regularly.  Vista does not update it as regularly (and was having trouble talking to our time server) and apparently allowed the clock to drift. 

After a couple of hours in Vista, I rebooted to linux and my clock was off in linux.  This was suprising, but seems to verify that it is a hardware issue.

Thanks.
    Friday, February 2, 2007 1:15 PM
  •  mtgarden wrote:
    Well, you were right.  I had assumed that my bios was fine as I had been using SuSE 10.1 which updates the bios clock regularly.  Vista does not update it as regularly (and was having trouble talking to our time server) and apparently allowed the clock to drift. 

Thanks.

You're welcome, feel free to ask us any problem you face using Windows Vista.

Good luck

Saturday, February 3, 2007 2:39 PM
  • Hello,

The hardware "issue" comes from the fact that most *nix distributions set up the hardware clock in UTC time, whereas Windows use local time. Thus a difference with dual boot computers. You can get ride of it by telling SuSE that your hardware clock is in local time.
    By the way, is it possible to keep the hardware clock in UTC time, and tell Windows (e.g. Vista) that it must consider an UTC hardware clock? I would prefer this solution if possible...

Thanks
    Monday, August 18, 2008 4:27 PM