none
Displaying annual leave in MS Project 2010. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Just after some advice on displaying annual leave in MS Project 2010 (Standard), would like to display annual leave of about 15 colleagues alongside a number of project tasks displayed in possibly a gant chart or timeline. So ideally a number of tasks projected over a period at the top of a chart, etc, then at the bottom of the chart showing when colleagues are on annual leave during this period.

Alternatively is there is a better way of displaying this type of information?

Thanks

Karl

Friday, July 10, 2015 8:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Karl,

Creating tasks for resources's vacation is not the best practice, since it will create extra working time for the resources instead of decreasing the capacity (non working time). The best practice is to go to the resource sheet, double clicking on the resource, select "change working time" and add exceptions for the annual leaves in the resources' calendar. Note that unfortunately the calendar's exceptions are not displayed as is in the Gantt chart. But there are taken into account in the schedule, meaning that if you plan a task during those exceptions, the task will automatically be rescheduled accordingly with the resource availability.

That being said, you can also use your method, meaning creating tasks for leaves. My only concern is that you want (if I well understood) to create 2 tasks: one for the planned leaves, another for the actual leaves. I'd suggest to create just 1 task, eventually save a baseline so you can retain this information, and simply enter actuals when the resource are actually on leave. Note that it will create "false" work and actual work, since leave is not real work, and being on leave is not real actual work. So just be aware of that if you do some project status reports.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Friday, July 10, 2015 8:30 AM
  • Just to add a bit to Guillaume's advice here, the concern about creating false work only arises if you assign the resources to the tasks which represent their vacation, so don't do that. Also don't do it because you will already have the resource's calendar with exceptions for his vacation so you won't be able to assign him on the days you want to show.

But you can create a task and a bar to illustrate a person's vacation. I would make a separate "task" of this kind for each continuous block of leave for each person. It's not exactly what MSP is for but it serves a purpose.

Friday, July 10, 2015 9:15 AM
  • Hi Guillaume

Thank you for this information, I may explore creating leave as tasks (just 1 task for actual leave as you indicated).

Thanks

Karl

Friday, July 10, 2015 2:31 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for this advice. I agree creating leave as tasks is not ideal but might serve my purpose.

Regards

Karl  

Friday, July 10, 2015 2:33 PM