none
IE 10 Creates Large .PS File RRS feed

• Question

• When I display and then print a large .html file using IE 10 and the adobe generic postscript driver, creating  a .ps file, the file size is more than 6 times larger than the same operation using IE 8.  When converting this file to .pdf using Adobe Distiller, the resulting .pdf file is 8 times larger for IE 10 as compared to IE 8.

This larger .pdf file size is unusable by the manufactuing department of my company.

One difference I have found in the .ps files, is the use of  Type 42 fonts (for TrueType fonts) - IE 8 apparently does not use Type 42 fonts and IE 10 does, leading to larger .ps and .pdf file sizes.  I have tried changing the entry in the printer's .PPD file to not use Type 42 fonts:

*TTRasterizer: None

This reduces the size of the .ps and .pdf file sizes, but they are still 4 times larger than when using IE 8.  I have also tried changing the Document Mode (via the .html "<meta http-equiv="x-ua-compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE8" >") and the F12 tool as well as changing the Browser Mode, but these have very little effect on the file sizes.

The question is: How can I make IE 10 create printer files of a similar size as IE 8 when printing?

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 10:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

which windows and IE versions is your manufacturing department using? Is continued support for XP to last much longer?

Win7 and higher supports XPS documents.

If fonts are an issue, you can test by turning off styling and sizing in IE...

Tools>Internet Options>General tab, accessibility button, check "Ignore font sizes specified on web pages" and "Ignore font styles specified on web pages"

the File>Print>Adobe Distiller

Your html documents may have depreciated <font> tags...... replace the <font> tags with <spans> (font tags are the most probable cause).

(post questions about html, css and scripting to the MSDN IE Web Development forum).

You should try the Adobe support forums for help with their products. Which versions do you have installed on your XP and Win7 machines?

Rob^_^

Friday, February 20, 2015 12:09 AM
  • Manufacturing was using Windows Server 2003 R2 with IE8.   I am trying to move them to Windows Server 2008 R2 with IE10 but they will not accept the larger .pdf file sizes.

To make testing easier, I have been testing on my Windows 7 Professional SP1 workstation with IE10 where I get the same results as Windows Server 2008 R2.

I tried your suggestion of:

Tools>Internet Options>General tab, accessibility button, check "Ignore font sizes specified on web pages" and "Ignore font styles specified on web pages"
    and it didn't help, it actually made the files a little bit larger.

The Adobe printer is merely a small .inf file that includes the standard Windows NTPRINT.INF file and the standard Windows PSCRIPT5.DLL driver, currently version 6.00.

I'm not certain that fonts are the issue.  They seem to be a contributor, but not the entire issue.  I don't think the larger files are caused by the PSCRIPT5.DLL driver, because when I use the same driver with IE8 I get much smaller files.  I don't know exactly what IE10 is doing, I just want a way to make IE10 work like IE8 as far as printing is concerned.

Monday, February 23, 2015 7:04 PM
  • Hi,

Try updating to the latest version of Adobe Reader from Adobe.com...

.... does production use any wingding fonts? are the source web documents utf-8 encoded?

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 1:12 AM
  • I have the latest version of Adobe Reader, version 11.0.10.

The document is NOT utf-8 encoded and there were a couple of wingding characters, which have been removed.  This made a very small reduction in file size, nothing significant.

Kirk.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 9:03 PM
  • Hi,

does the source html contain <font> tags?

You should update your html to standards. font tags cause the browser to enum the installed fonts on the machine... I think... in PDF documents, each font tag creates a copy of the font file in the document.

You should consider converting your html files to the html5 document type, and include the utf-8 content type meta. (use windows charmap utility to insert winding characters).

Start by

opening your source html file in IE. Select the view source menu and copy the complete page source.(ctrl+a, ctrl+c)

go to http://validator.w3.org/nu

select the direct input  tab and paste the source markup into the input area..... click the 'validate' button. The report produced will list the 'standards' errors that you will need to correct in your source html to bring it up to 'standards'

Post questions about html, css and scripting to stackoverflow.com

Regards.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 10:25 PM
  • I tried removing <font> tags and that did not reduce the size of the output file, perhaps because of the overall structure of the HTML.  But, in any case, I have to live with the HTML stucture I have.  The HTML is created by a page composition program that cannot be changed.  Imagine if you were using Microsroft Word to create documents and saving them in HTML format and you cannot change how Word works.  That's the situation I'm in.

With that said, let me state my original question with more detail:

How can I make IE10 behave like IE8 WITHOUT changing the HTML in the page other than a simple change to the beginning of the document such as "<meta http-equiv="x-ua-compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE8" >".

Kirk.

Monday, March 16, 2015 2:34 PM