none
ActiveX UAC and Proxy Settings via GPO

Question

• Hi there,

Wondering if anyone can help.

I am experiencing the following issue when trying to load ActiveX control without UAC prompts for standard users.

I have:

Configured ActiveXInstaller Service and configured allowed sites and settings via GPO.

Configured IE Security settings for the Trusted Zone to Allow ActiveX content to run via GPO.

Configured IE to use per user proxy settings via GPO.

Allowed the domain in our proxy and bypassed authentication for that domain.

Everything seems to be in place but I receive a UAC prompt for the Internet Explorer Add-on Installer UNLESS I either turn off the IE proxy  settings or add the domain to the IE proxy exclusions list.

Unfortunately neither of these are options in our environment..

Anything I've missed?

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 07, 2015 2:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Before going further, what's the operating systems you are using? How did you configure approved Installation Sites for ActiveX Controls and Active X installation policy for sites in Trusted zones settings?

Regarding how to configure these two settings, we can refer to the following article for double check.

Administering the ActiveX Installer Service in Windows 7

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd631688(v=ws.10).aspx

Besides, we can also run command gpresult/h gpreport.html with admin privileges to collect group policy result report to check if the policy settings are applied correctly.

Best regards,
    Frank Shen

Friday, January 09, 2015 7:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Before going further, what's the operating systems you are using? How did you configure approved Installation Sites for ActiveX Controls and Active X installation policy for sites in Trusted zones settings?

Regarding how to configure these two settings, we can refer to the following article for double check.

Administering the ActiveX Installer Service in Windows 7

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd631688(v=ws.10).aspx

Besides, we can also run command gpresult/h gpreport.html with admin privileges to collect group policy result report to check if the policy settings are applied correctly.

Best regards,
    Frank Shen

Friday, January 09, 2015 7:36 AM
  • Hey there,

We are using Windows 7 Enterprise SP1.

I have configured

Approved Installation Sites for ActiveX Controls as: Enabled

Host URLs   http://www.pcpitstop.com      2,2,1,0x00003300

As stated above, this functionality works fine when negating the proxy.

I have seen similar behaviour when needing to get sites to bypass authentication but this fix does not seem to apply here.

Group policies seem to be applied fine.

• Edited by Skullicious Friday, February 06, 2015 4:22 PM
    Friday, February 06, 2015 4:21 PM
  • This turned out to be a bug in our squid proxy configuration where having both ".domain.com" and "domain.com" would effectively break authentication bypass for that domain.
    Friday, April 24, 2015 10:41 AM