none
Search a Specfic Content Collection RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a new content collection "news". I am able to crawl content and feed it into that specific content collection, but when I do a query it always queries the default "sp" collection.

Is there a way to specifically tell my FAST site to query my "news" content collection?

Any ideas would be appreciated

Friday, October 8, 2010 5:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The first question I would ask you is this: what are you trying to achieve by having multiple content collections?

Note that FAST Search for SharePoint has two distinct things:

• Content Sources: those are a logical grouping defined through Central Administration. New content sources are created to crawl distinct types of content or to use different crawl schedules, for example. By default all content crawled through any of these content sources is sent and stored inside FAST in the content collection "sp";
    • Content Collections: those are a logical grouping defined through Windows PowerShell and implemented directly on FAST. You can define multiple content collections to facilitate maintenance when you use one of the FAST-specific connectors (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff383278.aspx#About_FS_specific). Having a separate content collection for the FAST Search database connector, for example, would allow you to clear the contents of just that content collection in case that is needed.

The important thing is that no matter how you configure any of the above (content sources or content collections), they are just logical groupings of content. In the end it all goes to the same FAST index. Even more important, any queries by default will be executed against the entire index.

Now, if you do want to limit some of your queries to execute against just part of the content, you have two options:

• To filter by Content Source you can search against "contentsource". For example, if you have a Content Source named "FAST Contoso" defined through Central Administration, you would be able to search against only this content with a query like this (KQL syntax) -> contentsource:"FAST Contoso" <query term> 
    • To filter by Content Collection you can search against "meta.collection". For example, if you created a new Content Collection named "news" using Windows PowerShell, you would be able to search against this content with a query like this (KQL syntax) -> meta.collection:news <query term>

As you can see, you have many options, how you use them will depend on your business needs.

Hope that helps.

Best,
    Leo

• Marked as answer by MossMan2010 Tuesday, October 12, 2010 1:53 PM
    • Edited by leonardocsouza Wednesday, September 7, 2011 2:59 PM add emphasis to specific point (query by default against entire index)
    Sunday, October 10, 2010 2:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The first question I would ask you is this: what are you trying to achieve by having multiple content collections?

Note that FAST Search for SharePoint has two distinct things:

• Content Sources: those are a logical grouping defined through Central Administration. New content sources are created to crawl distinct types of content or to use different crawl schedules, for example. By default all content crawled through any of these content sources is sent and stored inside FAST in the content collection "sp";
    • Content Collections: those are a logical grouping defined through Windows PowerShell and implemented directly on FAST. You can define multiple content collections to facilitate maintenance when you use one of the FAST-specific connectors (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff383278.aspx#About_FS_specific). Having a separate content collection for the FAST Search database connector, for example, would allow you to clear the contents of just that content collection in case that is needed.

The important thing is that no matter how you configure any of the above (content sources or content collections), they are just logical groupings of content. In the end it all goes to the same FAST index. Even more important, any queries by default will be executed against the entire index.

Now, if you do want to limit some of your queries to execute against just part of the content, you have two options:

• To filter by Content Source you can search against "contentsource". For example, if you have a Content Source named "FAST Contoso" defined through Central Administration, you would be able to search against only this content with a query like this (KQL syntax) -> contentsource:"FAST Contoso" <query term> 
    • To filter by Content Collection you can search against "meta.collection". For example, if you created a new Content Collection named "news" using Windows PowerShell, you would be able to search against this content with a query like this (KQL syntax) -> meta.collection:news <query term>

As you can see, you have many options, how you use them will depend on your business needs.

Hope that helps.

Best,
    Leo

• Marked as answer by MossMan2010 Tuesday, October 12, 2010 1:53 PM
    • Edited by leonardocsouza Wednesday, September 7, 2011 2:59 PM add emphasis to specific point (query by default against entire index)
    Sunday, October 10, 2010 2:24 AM
  • Hey Leo

Thank you for the information, that clears it up for me.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 1:54 PM
  • You can create a search scope as news and define the scope in core result web part, Location properties section. When you will search for something on the specific page it will filter the results as per the rules defined in the search scope.
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 12:46 AM