Exchange server Deployement for more 30000 mailboxes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

What is the best practice for designing Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 for 30000 mailboxes in a virtual environment?

- Number of VMs per roles (Client Access,Mailboxes and Edge roles).

- Minimum resources per VM.

- Number of DB per mailbox server.

Any help is highly appreciated.

--Tarek--

Thursday, April 7, 2016 2:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Here are the input:

- Mailbox size: 1Gb
    - Avg message size: 5mb
    - The DB copies : you recommend 3 copies that means I will have 6 DB in total 3 mounted and 3 copies right ?

In earlier version we use to isolate mailbox roles from client access, in 2013 how the databases will be spreaded? and how many servers/resources do I need as minimum requirement to handle the 30000 mailboxes.

Do I need a loadbalancer ? or if I have active/active clustering setup the client access role will act as load balancer ?

any other suggestion is highly appreciated.

Tarek

I recommend paying an experienced qualified consultant to run through those numbers and come up with a design that works best for you.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

• Proposed as answer by Andy DavidMVP Monday, April 11, 2016 2:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by jim-xu Thursday, April 14, 2016 9:45 AM
    Friday, April 8, 2016 12:51 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

What is the best practice for designing Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 for 30000 mailboxes in a virtual environment?

- Number of VMs per roles (Client Access,Mailboxes and Edge roles).

- Minimum resources per VM.

- Number of DB per mailbox server.

Any help is highly appreciated.

--Tarek--

You should follow this:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2013/05/06/ask-the-perf-guy-sizing-exchange-2013-deployments.aspx

while trying to stay as close to the PA as possible:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2014/04/21/the-preferred-architecture.aspx

Your other option would be to engage an experienced consultant who can help you design your environment.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

Thursday, April 7, 2016 2:35 PM
  • I see you have posted another thread for the same design?

do you already have an existing exchange environment if so then profile analyzer can help you design.

use the Exhange Role calc posted in other thread.

The main input you need

mailbox size

avg message size based on user

how many copies of DB you need in a DAG, I'd recommend 3.

For 2013 you don't to isolate the server roles, just install all the roles in on server, so you either have 2 servers with all server roles or 4 server in total.

You would also need go with active/active setup to maximize the use of hardware

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Exchange-2013-Server-Role-f8a61780

hope this help

Where Technology Meets Talent

Thursday, April 7, 2016 2:38 PM
  • Similar thread having suggested solution by experts - Exchange server design for more 30000 mailbox

Check this blog which lets you how to size the different Exchange Server 2013 roles and validate the final design. Another informative blog for common mistakes made while Designing and Deploying Exchange 2013.

Also check this PDF guide provides best practice guidelines for deploying Exchange Server 2013 on VMware.

Hope this helps!

Cloud migration can be a tedious task without the right solution. Lepide Meteor suite has all you need to analyze/upgrade/migrate your current Exchange environment to Office 365 and also helps you migrate any legacy File Servers, SharePoint and Public Folders to SharePoint, Office 365 or OneDrive as required.

Friday, April 8, 2016 5:13 AM
  • Hi,

Here are the input:

- The DB copies : you recommend 3 copies that means I will have 6 DB in total 3 mounted and 3 copies right ?

In earlier version we use to isolate mailbox roles from client access, in 2013 how the databases will be spreaded? and how many servers/resources do I need as minimum requirement to handle the 30000 mailboxes.

Do I need a loadbalancer ? or if I have active/active clustering setup the client access role will act as load balancer ?

Tarek

• Edited by TarekF Friday, April 8, 2016 8:03 AM
    Friday, April 8, 2016 7:58 AM
  • Hi,

Here are the input:

Tarek

I recommend paying an experienced qualified consultant to run through those numbers and come up with a design that works best for you.

• Proposed as answer by Andy DavidMVP Monday, April 11, 2016 2:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by jim-xu Thursday, April 14, 2016 9:45 AM
    Friday, April 8, 2016 12:51 PM
  • Hi,

Can you send me the list of consultants that you recommend.

Thanks

Tarek

Monday, April 11, 2016 9:42 AM
  • Hi,

Can you send me the list of consultants that you recommend.

Thanks

Tarek

The forums are not for soliciting. Please search for consultants outside of the forums.

Blog:    Twitter:   

Monday, April 11, 2016 2:37 PM