Child process issue. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I have an app sequenced in App-V that runs without issue, but the sequence does not terminate when the application is closed.  It has an internal Java and javaw.exe keeps running after closing the application and the application remains In Use.  I set TERMINATECHILDREN = TRUE in the OSD which usually resolves this sort of thing, but not this time.  Javaw.exe keeps running after the app is closed and the application will only return to Idle state if I do an End Process on javaw.exe..

Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this?

Regards, Balendra Tiwari

Thursday, February 20, 2014 4:25 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Has the main-process terminated? Isn't it possible that javaw.exe is the main process?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Thursday, February 20, 2014 6:48 AM
  • you may write a 'wrapper' that terminates javaw (if that isn't the main process, as Nicke asked) shortly after the app itself has been closed.

@echo off
    app1.exe
    taskkill /im jawaw.exe

Indeed this is a little rough, as it also would kill other javaw instances of that user

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Thursday, February 20, 2014 10:50 AM
  • Hi,

Supoose main process is "ABC.exe" and that is also using "Javaw.exe" , so when i close app, main process terminated, but "Javaw.exe" keep running in system.

Regards, Balendra Tiwari

Thursday, February 20, 2014 11:50 AM
  • Hi,

Yes ,,,as it would kill other "Javaw.exe", hence can't be used. Is there any other workaround? or  we can not create App-v package for same? 

Regards, Balendra Tiwari

Thursday, February 20, 2014 11:53 AM
  • Hi,

can you also let me know can I use this wrapper in OSD? for testing? or let me know how can I use above command in App-v ..as i am not creating CMD for same?

Regards, Balendra Tiwari

Thursday, February 20, 2014 11:54 AM
  • You could create a more fancy wrapper that

1. collects all PIDs for 'javaw.exe' processes,
    2. launches the application
    3. collectes all the PIDs for javaw.exe again
    4. uses the difference in colections to determin the PID of the 'right'  javaw.exe (or - even more fancy - identify the 'right' javaw based on the processe's properties, like command line
    5. taskkill based on the PID

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Thursday, February 20, 2014 2:58 PM
  • You'd have to use the wrapper as the 'filename' attribute in the OSD file, because otherwise App-V doesn't know when the package can be closed (and this is your problem already).

Anyway you can do that in a copied version of the OSD file, if that is allowed on the client

Falko

Thursday, February 20, 2014 2:59 PM
  • Hi

Below is my OSD. I am not able to make above changes, can you plz help me out.

I am not able to find all PID's of javaw.exe...can you please make changes and let me know.

Thanks in advance !!!!!

<IMPLEMENTATION>
      <CODEBASE HREF="FILE://\Monis Analyzer Client 10.0.0.0.sft" GUID="1775BC7A-C057-42BF-A270-D230669CB517" PARAMETERS="" FILENAME="%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\Monis\Analyzer 10.00\Client\MONIS Analyzer Quick Start Guide.pdf" SYSGUARDFILE="Monis Analyzer Client 10.0.0.0\osguard.cp" SIZE="179646227"/>
      <VIRTUALENV TERMINATECHILDREN="FALSE">
       <POLICIES>

<MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST>
      <SHORTCUT LOCATION="%CSIDL_PROGRAMS%\Monis Analyzer Client 10.0" FILENAME="Quick Start Guide.lnk" OVERRIDDEN="TRUE" DISPLAY="Quick Start Guide" ICON="%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/Monis Analyzer Client 10.0.0.0 Icons/Quick Start Guide 10.0.0.0.ico"/>
     </MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST>

Regards, Balendra Tiwari

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 12:04 PM
  • Hello,

See this blog-article;

http://www.tmurgent.com/TMBlog/?p=593

Perhaps you can use this tool ?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 9:22 PM