Slow file transfer with wireless vs ethernet windows 7 to windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I am having issues with file transfers using a wireless network adapter and not using a hardwired Ethernet cable.  

File transfers are being done through file and printer sharing from a windows 8 computer (server) to a windows 7 computer (my computer).  There is no 'homegroup' based file sharing.  

With wireless I get ~2MB/s and with wired connection I get ~80MB/s.

The wireless adapter is able to reach 44Mbps on speedtest.net so at very least I should be able to double the network file transfer speed, so it seems like wireless interference is not an issue. 

I have tried a number of different fixes including the autotuning, LSO, and RDC, none of these have an effect.  

Also, my roommate can transfer at 22MB/s on his laptop that has windows 8 installed to the other windows 8 machine.  

I have also tried a different wireless adapter, and there was no difference.  

I will be very greatful for any useful help here!

Mike

Thursday, August 7, 2014 8:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

44Mbps is a theoretical  throughput, the maximum speed should be 5.5MB/s, on the other hand, the distance should be a big factor in wireless environment.

Also, when you transfer files, the bandwidth is not fully used for transferring, such as wireless control frames, IP headers. So the final result would not be the maximum value.

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, September 4, 2014 7:35 AM
    Monday, August 11, 2014 6:10 AM

All replies

• I should add that the wireless adapters are USB connected
    Thursday, August 7, 2014 8:16 PM
  • Hi,

44Mbps is a theoretical  throughput, the maximum speed should be 5.5MB/s, on the other hand, the distance should be a big factor in wireless environment.

Also, when you transfer files, the bandwidth is not fully used for transferring, such as wireless control frames, IP headers. So the final result would not be the maximum value.

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, September 4, 2014 7:35 AM
    Monday, August 11, 2014 6:10 AM