none
MS-Project 2010: Adding Travel details of resource to visit customer RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I am a beginner MS-Project 2010 user and attempting to prepare my first project plan in MS-Project rather than Excel. 
    Question: 
    We have a team of 5 people who visit onsite 2-3 time during implementation.

How can I add those business trips in MS-Project? Currently we are using excel to do this by using timeline calender horizantally

Red fields shows on site visit. 

Yellow fields shows resource in holiday and

other filling shows visit to some other location.

Blue fields show task completion. 

How can I implement this in MS-Project?

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated?

Regards

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 3:45 PM

Answers

• navStuttgarter,

I see Julie was kind enough to coordinate between your posts on the two forums. The screenshot is very small and difficult to read but it looks like you have a couple of tasks, 4 resources, some travel, non-working time (days off?), and some on-site time at client/customer locations. I'm not quite sure what the pink blocks of time represent, maybe they are other site visits? Are we to assume that the blue cells indicate that the "ef" and "gh" resources have finished the on-site visit the first 3 (4?) days of week 27?

Basically here's how you might set this up in Project. First, for each resource, create a resource calendar indicating when that resource will have non-working days (e.g. vacation). This is done by selecting each resource on the Resource Sheet and then going to Project/Properties group/Change working time icon. Create an exception for each off-time period. If their off-time is for the same day every week (e.g. Wednesday's off), then that can be done by hitting the Work Weeks tab and then the Details button. When assigning resources to tasks, Project will automatically take the resource's work calendar into account, unless you specifically tell it not to.

For the on-site visits, create that as an ordinary task. The travel cost can be handled in various ways but one method is to use the Fixed Cost field for that. You could also set up a Travel "resource" that is of Cost type, and then assign that resource to each trip along with the labor resource.

Hopefully this will get you started.

John

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 6:01 PM

All replies

• navStuttgarter,

First question, are you trying to track the on-site visits as actual tasks with perhaps a cost associated  with the trip, or do you simply want a graphic detailing the visit? If the former, then please elaborate the red, yellow, "other filling", and blue items (i.e. are they tasks, milestones, part of the plan, outside the plan, etc.). If the latter, then Excel is the better application for graphic timelines. It has more flexibility for that.

Second question, do you have SP2 installed for Project 2010? If not, install it.

John

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 4:09 PM
  • I appreciate your quick reply John. 

In this forum I am not able to add  a screenshot but in the following link I have added a screenshot with what  I mean. 

I am trying to track on-site visits as actual tasks with cost associated with it. It is useful as the same person would be travelling to different on-site locations and I want to have a complete track of it. In excel its lot of manual work.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-project/ms-project-2010-adding-travel-details-of-resource/6de8f42c-4f42-4e8a-a171-49d7957c1cfc

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 5:05 PM
  • navStuttgarter,

I see Julie was kind enough to coordinate between your posts on the two forums. The screenshot is very small and difficult to read but it looks like you have a couple of tasks, 4 resources, some travel, non-working time (days off?), and some on-site time at client/customer locations. I'm not quite sure what the pink blocks of time represent, maybe they are other site visits? Are we to assume that the blue cells indicate that the "ef" and "gh" resources have finished the on-site visit the first 3 (4?) days of week 27?

Basically here's how you might set this up in Project. First, for each resource, create a resource calendar indicating when that resource will have non-working days (e.g. vacation). This is done by selecting each resource on the Resource Sheet and then going to Project/Properties group/Change working time icon. Create an exception for each off-time period. If their off-time is for the same day every week (e.g. Wednesday's off), then that can be done by hitting the Work Weeks tab and then the Details button. When assigning resources to tasks, Project will automatically take the resource's work calendar into account, unless you specifically tell it not to.

For the on-site visits, create that as an ordinary task. The travel cost can be handled in various ways but one method is to use the Fixed Cost field for that. You could also set up a Travel "resource" that is of Cost type, and then assign that resource to each trip along with the labor resource.

Hopefully this will get you started.

John

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 6:01 PM
  • Thank you John for your detailed reply. 

Today, I am going to try it and let you know the results. 

Regards,

Vivek

Thursday, February 6, 2014 10:11 AM
  • Vivek,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:44 PM