none
How to use external disk backup on Hyper-V host RRS feed

• Question

• We have a Physical Windows 2008R2 running Hyper-V with 2 Virtual Machines (one SBS 2008, one Windows 2008R2).

We are looking at BackupExec and Data Protection Manager as backup solutions.  If using DPM, what licensing do we need and how do we configure it so that the SBS VM will "see" the external drives connected to the physical machine so that the backups can be performed?

Thanks,

Chris

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Gene,

I believe you will need 2 enterprise licenses 1 for backing up Exchange and 1 for backing up Windows SharePoint Services on SBS. If you plan to protect the other virtual 2008 R2 server you will need a standard for that as well.

As far as the disk set it up as a pass through disk on the VM through Hyper-V and then DPM will be able to see them. Here is a blog on how to do this: http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2008/10/24/configuring-pass-through-disks-in-hyper-v.aspx

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.systemcenterdataprotectionmanager.com
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 5:09 AM
  • Shouldn't a single enterprise license cover both the Exchange and Sharepoint since they are both on the same machine?

I appreciate the link on pass-through approach, but isn't there also a benefit to completing the backup from the host so that the VHD itself is captured in a backup?  And if we're trying to take this approach does that require different licensing since the backup software would essentially be running on the host as well?

Monday, May 9, 2011 4:21 PM
  • Hi,

Yes you only need a single license per protected server, and the type of license depends on the type of workload protected.  yes, protecting guest at the host level does have it's advantages and will only require 1 additional license for the Hyper-V host itself.   Else, you can perform BMR backup inside the guest and get equal protection at no additional cost, but restore times and process will be much longer. 

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 9:55 PM