none
MS - Proj 2010, proj - training on processes, all subtasks are the same, my calendar view is horrible! RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone. I am very new to MSP, and I am in need of help. I am doing a project that has a bunch of Processes I will be training on, every process has the same set of sub tasks. When viewing this however my project looks horrid. Especially the calendar view. and i cant tell which process the tasks are under. I am copying the WBS here to see if anyone would mind helping me out.

Is it possible to upload my project somewhere on here to let people view it and suggest changes?

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:36 PM

Answers

• I usually use wording for a task which full describes it so that when resorted, filtered, or otherwise out of context to the summary grouping, it makes sense, e.g. "Client Bids: Create Documentation", "Client Completions: Create Documentation", etc.

I do notice that all your tasks are manually scheduled with no apparent logical progression of the tasks, e.g. predecessors, successors, etc. You are missing the real value of Project to let it compute your schedule.  If all you are doing is using it as a tool to produce a Gantt Chart and a Calendar, you will only probably be really disappointed at what it appears to you it can't do.

--rms www.rmschneider.com
    • Marked as answer by MDavis82 Friday, September 16, 2011 5:54 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 4:40 PM
  • Hi,

Calendar view would become clumsy when number of tasks increases; but as of now try following steps it would help to an extend :

1. Right click on Calendar view -> Bar Styles -> Summary - select Bar style as Line, select color for it.

2. Rght Clck -> Layout -> Radio button -> Select Attempt to fit as many tasks as possible.

3. Rght Clck -> Zoom -> reduce number of weeks to 2.

Adjust selections in Pt 2 and 3 as per your need. 

Sapna S
    Friday, September 16, 2011 4:44 PM
  • Firstly Calendar view is a Task centric so it won't display Resources time off. To define Resource Timeoffs -> In Resource Sheet double click the desired resource - in dialouge box - Click on Change Working time -> Exceptions - define the timeoff name and Start Finish. This will mark holiday for that resource, hence tasks will get realigned accordinlgy on which this resource is assigned.
    Sapna S
    • Marked as answer by MDavis82 Friday, September 16, 2011 5:53 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:36 PM

All replies

• I usually use wording for a task which full describes it so that when resorted, filtered, or otherwise out of context to the summary grouping, it makes sense, e.g. "Client Bids: Create Documentation", "Client Completions: Create Documentation", etc.

I do notice that all your tasks are manually scheduled with no apparent logical progression of the tasks, e.g. predecessors, successors, etc. You are missing the real value of Project to let it compute your schedule.  If all you are doing is using it as a tool to produce a Gantt Chart and a Calendar, you will only probably be really disappointed at what it appears to you it can't do.

• Marked as answer by MDavis82 Friday, September 16, 2011 5:54 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 4:40 PM
  • Hi,

Calendar view would become clumsy when number of tasks increases; but as of now try following steps it would help to an extend :

1. Right click on Calendar view -> Bar Styles -> Summary - select Bar style as Line, select color for it.

2. Rght Clck -> Layout -> Radio button -> Select Attempt to fit as many tasks as possible.

3. Rght Clck -> Zoom -> reduce number of weeks to 2.

Adjust selections in Pt 2 and 3 as per your need. 

Sapna S
    Friday, September 16, 2011 4:44 PM
  • Thanks for the insight, I grabbed all the dates as due dates form my boss. I woudl love ot know how to have the program set the auto stuff up for me but it just doesnt make a whole lot of sense on the way its laid out.

For instance,

Client Bids, I have from the start of training until the 22nd to complete, therefore all of my tasks are due on that date or in other words that is the scheduled date of training.

Client completions I have until the start of training until the 23rd to complete, shoudl I have made that I have from the end of the client bids to complete instead?

I am just now learning about predecessors in here as well. its slow but Im really hopeful I can make something of this soon. I'm expected to present on it by Tuesday.

Friday, September 16, 2011 5:25 PM
  • Thank you for the help, I will try your suggestions and see if that works. Another thing I am curious about, I cant get peoples scheduled days off to show up on the calendar is there any way I can make it do that?
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:26 PM
  • Yes, there is a way to do all that; but it's late on a Friday afternoon before a weekend (depending on your time zone) and your plan is due on Tuesday.  I suggest you abandon Project and instead develop a plan, say in Word, PowerPoint, or even paper and pen ... and then use that as a basis for your presentation on Tuesday.  I say this as I suspect it's more important you have a plan than it is that you master Microsoft Project intime to meet that deadline.  Or find some help from a colleague who knows Project and can help.  I'm not trying to be pessimistic; just trying to give you what I think may be the best advice at this juncture. 

Include a task in your plan called "build a better plan in Microsoft Project", and as a predecessor, add a task "Take 2-3 day training class in Microsoft Project for MDavis82". That will help.

Friday, September 16, 2011 5:31 PM
  • To make all tasks Auto -> select all tasks and click on Task Tab -> Auto Schedule. If you want that all your new task gets auto-scheduled by default, you need to change the option by going to File -> Options -> Schedule -> In scheduling for this Project option select : New Tasks created -> Auto from drop down.

Predecessors- Say A starts only when B finishes. In pred column of A type ID of task B say if B is at 4 ID type 4 there.

Sapna S
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:32 PM
  • Firstly Calendar view is a Task centric so it won't display Resources time off. To define Resource Timeoffs -> In Resource Sheet double click the desired resource - in dialouge box - Click on Change Working time -> Exceptions - define the timeoff name and Start Finish. This will mark holiday for that resource, hence tasks will get realigned accordinlgy on which this resource is assigned.
    Sapna S
    • Marked as answer by MDavis82 Friday, September 16, 2011 5:53 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:36 PM
  • Hey Rob, I had the project plan in Microsoft word laid out already I am trying to import the whole thing into Project. Looks like I might be working through the weekend on this one lol.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:43 PM
  • Thank you, I should have clarified I already have the resources PTO put into "Exceptions" I just did not know how to make it show in the calendar, now that you are informing me it is task based, that makes sense why it will not show.

Thank you to the both of you for all the great insight (and so quick!).
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:49 PM
  • You are most Welcome, if your questions are answered, you can close the thread by marking an answer.
    Sapna S
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:51 PM
  • I was hoping to get some more insight form rob on the other part, I am not sure if he had any more advice for me, you two are great!
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:53 PM
  • You are most Welcome for the Feedback.
    Sapna S
    Friday, September 16, 2011 6:06 PM
  • Hi MDavis82,

As you have discovered, Project is not very intuitive.  To get up and running quickly, you need to attend at least a 2-day introductory  course. Meanwhile, you might like to have a look at my free series for beginners  on Microsoft Project in the TechTrax ezine, at this site: http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc  or this: http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMFrame.asp?CMD=ArticleSear ch&AUTH=23
    (Perhaps you'd care to rate the articles before leaving the site, :) Thanks.)

FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be  seen at this web address: <http://www.mvps.org/project/>

Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on :)

Mike Glen
    MS Project MVP

Friday, September 16, 2011 7:35 PM