none
Cache file size for disk protection RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've set the Disk Protection cache file to its minimum size (2GB).  However, the size is still 11GB.  What am I doing wrong?
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 1:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Thomas, thanks for the post. Have you enabled WDP for a while? Meanwhile, are you using 160GB hard disk?

Sean Zhu - MSFT

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 9:31 AM
  • Hi Sean,

I just installed SteadyState and enabled Disk Protection a couple of weeks ago.  I have all other SteadyState features disabled, only interested in erasing changes that students might make to the system during class.  As stated below, I'm running SteadyState when the systems are booted in XP so that partition is protected.  It would be nice to be able to protect the VISTA O/S partition from being modified but that's a separate issue.

The physical disk in the system is 150GB.  However, it's divided up as follows:
    SERVICE - ~5GB - a partition required by the manufacturer (Lenovo M58, 7373-AMU)
    VISTA - 40GB (orginal O/S, protected by DeepFreeze)
    XP - 30GB (added O/S, protected by SteadyState)
    DATA - 1GB (student files, etc.)
    INTRO2 - 23.53MB (used for demoing defrag)
    GHOST - ~75GB (GHOST files of both XP & VISTA partitions)

Since the actual XP partition is only 30GB, I'm surprised that SteadyState is taking up 11GB of that space for its file, even after I've configured it to be only 2GB.

Tom (SeniorNet volunteer)
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 4:00 PM
  • Hi Tom, can you temporarily disable then re-enable WDP and see the result?
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 1:43 AM
  • Hi Sean,
      We turned off Disk Protection (WDP), then turned it back on, on both systems.  The cache file size is still ~11Gb.  We verified the cache file size was set to 2GB before we turned it off.  I don't remember if I checked it again when we turned WDP back on. 

I'm wondering if the drive letter of the O/S is causing a problem.  VISTA is the original O/S on this system and it has drive letter C: when we boot on the VISTA side.  However, on the XP side, the SERVICE partition gets drive letter C: and the XP partition is assigned drive letter H:.

Anything else I should try when I go back down to the lab later this week?

Wednesday, September 2, 2009 6:48 PM