none
Newly deployed GPO printers won't print for a few users. Print job immed. deleted from queue.

Question

• Just migrated our office to a new Server 2012R2 Print server. about a dozen printers installed via GPO to Windows 7/64 workstations. Mostly HP's running Universal PS driver (6.1), plus the odd Kip plotter and Xerox Copier.   For maybe 4 users out of 30 some, there is a printing problem. When a print job is sent, it appears in the queue and then is immediately deleted.   No other indication that anything is amiss. No events fire, no dimming of the icons or exclamation points,  no error messages.

That's the consistent part. There is also some inconsistent (but still bad) behavior I'm finding on the different PCs. For some, deleting and re-running gpupdate will  bring the printers back and printing properly, but only for a short time. Sometimes only one or two printers will print, sometimes not. Sometimes logging in as a different user will install the printers, sometimes no.

I've been fiddling with this over the past few days and gotten absolutely no where.  Now I don't know what to look at next. Any idea would be appreciated!

James A. Helfer | COMPUTER SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR WTW ARCHITECTS | PITTSBURGH PA

Thursday, June 23, 2016 10:55 PM

All replies

•   ... Forgot to add that I had personally installed these printers on my workstation weeks before and saw zero problems.

Thursday, June 23, 2016 11:05 PM
  • Hi Jim Helfer,

According to your description, it works fine on your workstation, I suspect that the problem could be cause by the configuration of the printer server. I suggest that we could try reconfigure the printer server.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134163%28v=ws.11%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

http://www.technig.com/install-and-configure-print-server/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, June 24, 2016 8:48 AM
  •  Well, those pages just tell me how to set up a print server. I already have that. I have specific printing troubles on random machines that there seems to be no solution for. Also, migration to v4 drivers has been shot down from higher up at this time, so none of that helps.

Friday, June 24, 2016 1:28 PM
  • Hi Jim Helfer,

Thank you for your reply. According to your description, I still suspect that it could be caused by the printer server. You could create a new OU, open AD users and computers and locate your groups folder so we can create a new printer security group. Create a new Universal security group called Printers-Floor1 or Printers-Site1 to match the name of the GPO you created. Then we could scope GP Object and link GPO Object to your Computers OU.

Also I find this is few users have this problem, if it could be work fine when you change other user account.

Hope it could be helpful to you.

Monday, June 27, 2016 8:44 AM
  •  OK, user still reports problem, but your "solution" does not make any sense to me. Why would a new group work when the old group wouldn't?  What are we trying to do here.  I can't make a new OU - and that doesn't even make sense.

Thursday, July 7, 2016 2:26 PM
  • I'm still having this mysterious problem with at least one one user. Printer deployed via gpupdate. printing will  function normally for a few minutes, and then just stops printing. I can see the jobs hit the print queue and are immediately deleted.  Restarting the Spool service does not help the problem.  If I delete the printer and reinstall with gpupdate, it will again print for w few minutes and then go back to just deleting all jobs from the queue immediately. This affect all printers that are installed via GPO for this user.

The print server has been through weeks of testing and works normally for most users. There are no events or errors recorded for either the workstation or the server that could be relevant.

Thursday, July 7, 2016 3:09 PM
  • Hi Jim Helfer,

Thank you for your information. This is really weird. Have you installed the updates? If we could try boot in Clean Boot to avoid the effects of third party software. Also we could try use the Process Monitor Tool to check what process will have an impact on the print process. Please download it from the link below.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor.aspx

Hope it will be helpful to you

Friday, July 8, 2016 9:56 AM