Microsoft Windows has stopped responding - HELP! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

So my laptop has just stopped working - it will load up with the desktop background and the icons on the desktop but nothing else will appear or work.

It keeps coming up with a box that says 'microsoft windows has stopped responding. if you wait it may start responding. end process'

If I leave it, nothing happens, it just stays.

If I close it then the box goes away but still nothing works at all, I can't click on anything and the mouse is just a little spinning wheel.

If I click end process it does the same thing..

I've tried turning it off, holding the power button down till the laptop turns off, and turning it on again but that doesn't seem to fix the problem, it just does the same thing all over again. Nothing seems to work and I can't really find an answer anywhere.

I've tried starting up task manager, but when I press down Ctrl Alt Del the screen goes black, stays black for about five mins and then goes back onto the desktop background, still unable to do anything.

No clue, please help! :(

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 9:27 PM

Answers

• Simply tap the F8 key on pc start,in safe-mode select with cmd,in cmd,type: Sfc /Scannow  the file checker

runs auto.Once its thru,type: CHKDSK C: /F  agree to restart,type: EXIT restart pc.

Also,this fixes the OS files/folders,but if other issues are present,once in windows,open event-viewer,see the

events/warnings,R.click on one/properties.You'll see/get more info on why it all took place.

Thursday, October 27, 2016 3:34 AM
  • Hi,

Based on your description, we could try Bootrec.exe to troubleshoot startup issues.

Use Bootrec.exe in the Windows RE to troubleshoot startup issues:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/927392

If the problem still persists, I’m afraid you may need system restore or clean install.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 27, 2016 7:44 AM

All replies

• Simply tap the F8 key on pc start,in safe-mode select with cmd,in cmd,type: Sfc /Scannow  the file checker

runs auto.Once its thru,type: CHKDSK C: /F  agree to restart,type: EXIT restart pc.

Also,this fixes the OS files/folders,but if other issues are present,once in windows,open event-viewer,see the

events/warnings,R.click on one/properties.You'll see/get more info on why it all took place.

Thursday, October 27, 2016 3:34 AM
  • Hi,

Based on your description, we could try Bootrec.exe to troubleshoot startup issues.

Use Bootrec.exe in the Windows RE to troubleshoot startup issues:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/927392

If the problem still persists, I’m afraid you may need system restore or clean install.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 27, 2016 7:44 AM