none
How to reset all Internet Explorer 8 settings for a different user profile? RRS feed

• Question

• Sometimes users on locked down PCs that need their IE settings reset to resolved issues such as improper/old cached credentials stored in the browser after a password change etc.  These issues can be resolved by opening Internet Options, Advanced tab, Reset, Delete All, Reset.

The users cannot do this because the Advanced Tab is hidden by policy.  If an administrator logs in with a different account, of course, anything they change is in their profile and not the user's profile.

Is there some way for an administrator user to log in and access Internet Control Panel settings for a different user's Internet Options so they can reset the browser for a limited user?

We need a more streamlined way to do this instead of needing to either blow away the user's entire Windows profile or else go through the convoluted process of getting the GPO admins to undo the group policy for one user to unhide the tab, have the help desk reset the browser for the user and then have the GPO admins reapply the original policy.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 1:34 AM

Answers

• I rebuilt the environment, and tried to run this powershell script with "Advanced" tab disabled, and the "reset" founction successfully works.

And to run this script, you don't need to login to the user profile, you can just create a scheduled task to launch the script as mentioned in third link in my second reply.

You can even execute script remotely, please view this link:

Running Remote Commands

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd819505.aspx

Regards

Yolanda
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by MyGposts Friday, January 10, 2014 1:00 AM
    Tuesday, January 7, 2014 8:59 AM

All replies

• From your description, it seems that you don’t want to reset all IE 8 settings you have made on the limited users, just some cache stored  in the browser, if so, you can apply the following settings

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache
    Persistent = 0

Or

USER Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Internet Control Panel\Advanced Page
    "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed"

And refer to this link:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/ce51598b-4f3c-4d58-9c9e-ee7a624a5485/gpo-or-script-to-delete-existing-stored-ie-password-cache

Regards

Yolanda

Wednesday, January 1, 2014 9:00 AM
  • No, I just used history and cache as an example of some of the things we would like to clear, but we really would need to clear and reset everything to defaults exactly as if the user went into the Advanced tab and clicked the reset buttons.  Instead of having a bunch of different steps to reset individual items that are hidden from these users, we would like to just do a full reset.  All the options that are not at defaults (such as the home page and other centrally managed Internet options) will be automatically reconfigured when group policy is reapplied. 

Until we have a solution for this, when a user has a problem with their browser that would normally be able to be fixed by a browser reset, we have to completely delete their Windows profile and create a new one because we have no way of resetting Internet Explorer in the user's context.

Wednesday, January 1, 2014 4:09 PM
  • You can try the following script

Reset Internet Explorer all Setting to default using PowerShell Script

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Reset-Internet-Explorer-20f838e7

but this script still launches an interactive interface, you can ask in this form to improve the script to achieve an totally unattended process.

The Official Scripting Guys Forum!

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/scriptcenter/en-US/home?forum=ITCG

You can create a task schedule to trigger the process. When computer starts or  IE open , the script launches itself automatically.

Schedule a task

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/schedule-task#1TC=windows-7

Regards

Yolanda

Thursday, January 2, 2014 7:31 AM
  • Seems like the script above is unlikely to work since it would require you to log into the users profile and run a Powershell script without admin rights and the user has a policy to not show the Advanced tab, so that may cause the script to fail.

Is there a way to just clean out a specified user's IE settings/customizations and put everything back to defaults via the registry while logged in as a local administrator?

Monday, January 6, 2014 8:02 PM
  • I rebuilt the environment, and tried to run this powershell script with "Advanced" tab disabled, and the "reset" founction successfully works.

And to run this script, you don't need to login to the user profile, you can just create a scheduled task to launch the script as mentioned in third link in my second reply.

You can even execute script remotely, please view this link:

Running Remote Commands

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd819505.aspx

Regards

Yolanda

• Marked as answer by MyGposts Friday, January 10, 2014 1:00 AM
    Tuesday, January 7, 2014 8:59 AM
  • Thanks, but wouldn't that sript above require the user to have admin rights and ability to change the  powershell script execution policy? 

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 3:42 PM
  • Hi,

As I know, the script can be executed in a standard user profile without admin right.

Yolanda

Thursday, January 9, 2014 1:32 AM
  • Is there a way to just clean out a specified user's IE settings/customizations and put everything back to defaults via the registry while logged in as a local administrator?

Supposedly there is an entry point which can (or at least used to) be run via rundll32.exe...

ClearMyTracks?...

Oops.  Incomplete recollection...

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/ce81943b-32b8-437b-b620-171c3d5893e7/inetcplcpl-with-clearmytracksbyprocess?forum=ieextensiondevelopment

FWIW DependencyWalker is showing that my inetcpl.cpl still has an entry point called  ClearMyTracksByProcessW.   I will leave it to you to find out if it can still be invoked by RunDll32.exe and still does anything useful.   <eg>

As for making it work on a different account or different machine, I will speculate even further and suggest you look at  SysInternals  psexec.exe  or perhaps be more modern and try using  Powershell's  Invoke-Command.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, January 9, 2014 4:29 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

As I know, the script can be executed in a standard user profile without admin right.

Yolanda

OK, we will try this.
    Friday, January 10, 2014 1:00 AM