Migrate winSBS2003 to winSBS2003 !!! help RRS feed

• Question

• I have this situation:

- one existing winSBS2003 (SP2) server (the machine is going to be disabled because it is old and the license was a partner licence and about to expire)

- I just bought one new winSBS2003R2 license and I have a new machine for it

I would like to have the NEW SBS license installed on this new machine but I'd like to keep/migrate AD users and computers from the old SBS before I throw it away.

The old server machine also has Exchange server (SP2) on it and I'd like to move the database if possible.

I found two ways of doing it :
    - A - install new license on the new machine with a new host name. Go with the installation just until the first login and stop. Join the domain (old server is still alive and working at this point). After joining the domain and dcpromo on the new server both old and new server wil work as domain controllers for 14 days. It means I'd have 14 days to demote the old server from being a domain controller.
    If this is correct I need some details and info about how to move exchange as well)

- B - install new license on the new machine with the same host name as the old machine. I didn't find details here or better say some details that don't make too much sense and it looked too... improvised to me, I don't think I like this solution but I mentioned it .....just in case someone knows better

I'd like a solution that is the least disruptive for the production environment. If moving mailboxes is too complicated and I have to install exchange from scratch ...no problem because users use POP3 to get their emails but I really want to avoid any work (other than reconfigure POP3 settings) at the client level. That is very important to me because these users work 7 days a week.

Thank you very much,
    Dan
    dan.i@ecotex.ca

PS
    Any idea if this link applies to my case here?

Saturday, July 21, 2007 5:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Dan

These forums support Forefront Client Security (FCS) - I would recommend visiting the SBS Community page and looking there for additional information

Thanks

Chris

Forefront Client Security PM

Sunday, July 22, 2007 5:10 PM