SP2013-"Shared With" abnormality for Lists. RRS feed

• Question

• This is an on premise SharePoint 2013 installation. I routinely customize permissions for folders created within a Document library. I also routinely customize permissions for a List as a whole.  But, I want to customize permissions for folders I created in a List just like for folders in a Library.  The "Shared With" module fails - times out.  I can't break inheritance nor assign unique permissions to a list folder even as site owner.
    Thursday, February 5, 2015 3:52 PM

Answers

• UPDATE!

The "shared with" module perhaps in combination with other things is to blame.  It is an intermediate step to launching the advanced permissions module.  When the module fails, I can't launch manage permissions module even though I have permissions.  I found a work-around to by-pass the "shared with" module.  

1. Select SITE SETTINGS gear.
    2. Under Site Administration, select CONTENT & STRUCTURE.  
    3. Select the applicable list from site contents to expose items of the list including any folders.
    4. Carefully hover over a folder to activate the dropdown associated with the folder name. 
    5. **PAYOFF** select the "MANAGE PERMISSIONS" from drop down options.  The advanced controls module launches to permit breaking inheritance and assign unique permissions.

This does not fix the "Shared With" module failure itself, but offers another route to the desired end.

Cliff

Sunday, February 8, 2015 8:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

you can do so by selecting the folder for which you want to customize the permission, then on the ribbon click on the "shared with" icon on the "Item" tab

There you can click on Advanced and break security inheritance.

Regards

• Proposed as answer by NadeemYousuf Thursday, February 5, 2015 4:52 PM
    Thursday, February 5, 2015 4:32 PM
  • I had expected to see exactly the controls displayed in your second screen shot.  In my cast, the Advanced options are not presented when I follow the procedure you specified.  Maybe we have a configuration or setup issue.  Am checking into it.  Thanks.
    Thursday, February 5, 2015 4:52 PM
  • Hi wylikiote,

Please check which permisions the user has on the list. Please use another use with full control permision to test.

Whether you have some customization on the list.

Also, check whether other lists have this issue. 

Please provide a screenshot about this issue. It will make others in the forum easy to find a solution for you.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Wendy Li
    TechNet Community Support

Saturday, February 7, 2015 7:03 AM
  • Hi Wendy

Thanks for the comments.  I too suspect permissions are somehow to blame.  I've tested this over multiple lists and multiple site collections and encounter the same problem for all SP2013 environments.  For instance:

1. I create a LIST - I can alter LIST permissions successfully
    2. I create a folder in the LIST - I cannot alter that folder permissions  
    3. I can successfully alter both LIBRARY permissions and Folder permissions in it.
    4. So this abnormality is isolated to folders created in LISTS only and, strangely, is encountered both by site collection owner (me) and SP farm admin too.

Here are clips.

Cliff

Saturday, February 7, 2015 2:43 PM
  • UPDATE!

The "shared with" module perhaps in combination with other things is to blame.  It is an intermediate step to launching the advanced permissions module.  When the module fails, I can't launch manage permissions module even though I have permissions.  I found a work-around to by-pass the "shared with" module.  

1. Select SITE SETTINGS gear.
    2. Under Site Administration, select CONTENT & STRUCTURE.  
    3. Select the applicable list from site contents to expose items of the list including any folders.
    4. Carefully hover over a folder to activate the dropdown associated with the folder name. 
    5. **PAYOFF** select the "MANAGE PERMISSIONS" from drop down options.  The advanced controls module launches to permit breaking inheritance and assign unique permissions.

This does not fix the "Shared With" module failure itself, but offers another route to the desired end.

Cliff

Sunday, February 8, 2015 8:32 PM
  • Hi Cliff,

As you have had a workaround for this issue, I will mark your reply as anwser to close this case.

If you have any question about this issue, please feel free to reply.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Wendy Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 9, 2015 9:55 AM