none
first login takes a long time RRS feed

• Question

• hi all,

i have set up a moss site, and i notice an interesting thing that the first login of every day usually takes a long time, while subsequent logins of the same day  take  much less time. what could be the problem? is it related to caching behavior?

any suggestions on how to improve the response speed?

thanks

Andrew Chen
    BI, Data Mining, Analytical CRM
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 4:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• The cause for this is when your Application pool is recycled in IIS. By default it recycles at 2:00AM daily. You can see this problem even you reset the IIS or reboot the server. So first user always see this stuff. If you overcome this problem you need to run the warm-up script.

read this article, give you in dept detail:http://blogs.msdn.com/b/joelo/archive/2006/08/13/697044.aspx

you can find script from here:

http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/blogs/fromthefield/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=56

thanks

-ws

SharePoint administrator, MCTS,MCITP
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 5:05 PM
  • The cause for this is when your Application pool is recycled in IIS. By default it recycles at 2:00AM daily.

Thanks,

are  the recycling events logged?

i went through the events viewer without finding any clues.

thanks

Andrew Chen
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 4:33 AM
  • There's always the ancient reason that when using a browser with ActiveX support, the first use of that browser (after opening it) to access a SharePoint site incurs an overhead because the ActiveX code needs to be downloaded to the client system.

All following accesses do not incur the overhead as the code is already there for that browser copy. (As presumably the browser copy is closed overnight the same thing will occur next day.

You could do a test comparing say Firefox or Chrome with IE. The first access with Firefox / Chrome will be quicker (and the same as later accesses) because there is no download of Active X code because those browsers have no support for ActiveX.

2010 Books: SPF 2010; SPS 2010; SPD 2010; InfoPath 2010; Workflow etc.
    2007 Books: WSS 3.0; MOSS 2007; SPD 2007; InfoPath 2007; PerformancePoint; SSRS; Workflow
    Both lists also include books in French; German; Spanish with even more languages in the 2007 list.
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 7:06 AM
  • You could do a test comparing say Firefox or Chrome with IE.

hi Mike,

thanks.

i did a test comaring firefox with ie. i think it was NOT the activeX that slowed the response.

it still took a long time to load the page in firefox after iisreset.

anyway, thanks for ur reply.

Andrew Chen
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 7:34 AM
  • thanks all,

i closed this topic as the culprit was identified,

while i started another thread on how to warm up my moss with a form based authentication here ,

thanks

Andrew Chen
    Saturday, October 30, 2010 3:35 AM