none
DPM 2012, error ID: 880 Cannot create a stable subkey under a volatile parent key RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am been trying to install DPM 2012d always come across the next error 

The DPM protection agent configuration failed. Review the error details, take the appropriate action, and then try installing DPM again.
    ID: 880. Details: Cannot create a stable subkey under a volatile parent key

During the installation I constantly get this error...

Any help will be appreciated, thanks 

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 6:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Not much I could find on that error that was DPM related, but try this.

1) Open Regedit and navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\VSS\Diag

2) Right-click the key and choose RENAME, then rename the key Diag-Bad.
    3) Exit Regedit
    4) Retry your Install.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Not much I could find on that error that was DPM related, but try this.

1) Open Regedit and navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\VSS\Diag

2) Right-click the key and choose RENAME, then rename the key Diag-Bad.
    3) Exit Regedit
    4) Retry your Install.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:56 PM
  • That seemed to solve the problem.

Cheers!!!!

Thursday, February 14, 2013 3:27 PM
  • Unfortunately, I am not having any luck with the reg key rename. I've tried renaming it, deleting it, stopping DPM and SQL services and rebooting. This was originally a DPM 2007 which I upgraded to 2010 and SQL 2012. I am now trying to get DPM 2012 on and then move to 2012 SP1. Do I need to create a new instance in SQL?
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 8:41 PM
  • Pulled this out of the setup error log.

The database 'DPMDB' cannot be opened because it is version 706. This server supports version 661 and earlier. A downgrade path is not supported.

Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:45 PM