none
Disable settings for data protection via GPO

Question

• Hello,

how can I disable the following settngs in Windows 10 via GPO?

• allow other devices to open apps (5th option in the "General" tab)
    • running of background apps

Thanks for answers in advance.

• Edited by -honeybee- Tuesday, December 20, 2016 10:53 AM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016 10:53 AM

Answers

• > I am using version 1607.

So Wendy is using a probably outdated version - I can see this option, too.

I'd suggest to run regshot (Sourceforge), take a capture before and after the change and deploy this change through GPP registry.
    Unfortunately, a lot of stuff in the settings app is not GP enabled anymore, like it used to be with the ol' control panel :(

Thursday, December 22, 2016 1:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    >> allow other devices to open apps (5th option in the "General" tab)
    Please share the screenshot of the 5th option which I could find from my windows 10 machine:

>> running of background apps
    As far as I know, there is no such built-in group policy to do that. However, if you want to prevent all apps from running in the background, you could have a try using Battery Saver mode to accomplish this. When Battery Saver mode is activated, no apps will run in the background. Please refer to: http://www.howtogeek.com/241752/how-to-stop-windows-10-apps-from-running-in-the-background/
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 2:19 AM
  • I can't see this option there. In the German Windows version I can see it, see below:

• Edited by -honeybee- Wednesday, December 21, 2016 12:35 PM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 12:34 PM
  • > I can't see this option there. In the German Windows version I can see it, see below:

For Win 10, it is extremely important to specify the exact version you are talking about: 1511, 1607, Insider Preview and so on...

:-)

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 2:22 PM
  • I am using version 1607.

Thanks, but I prefer to write in English. :-)

Thursday, December 22, 2016 11:44 AM
  • > I am using version 1607.

So Wendy is using a probably outdated version - I can see this option, too.

I'd suggest to run regshot (Sourceforge), take a capture before and after the change and deploy this change through GPP registry.
    Unfortunately, a lot of stuff in the settings app is not GP enabled anymore, like it used to be with the ol' control panel :(

Thursday, December 22, 2016 1:05 PM