Multiple TOC with different Formatting RRS feed

• Question

• I have a document with two different TOC's in it, both of them share one specific level of TOC (level 1). I want the first TOC to have a larger font than the second one but when I change the settings in one TOC the second one changes too. Is is possible to share that TOC level but have independent formatting?

Friday, August 15, 2014 5:38 PM

Answers

• That is not possible, since both use the same TOC Style. If you unlink one of them (via Ctrl-Shift-F9), you can then change the Style and reformat it, but it will no longer function as a TOC (i.e. it won't update and clicking on it won't take you to the related content).

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by Steve Fan Monday, August 25, 2014 8:46 AM
    Friday, August 15, 2014 10:33 PM
  • I don't think you could ever make them entirely independent

In a specific case, you might be able to do it this way

Let's suppose that your first ToC just picks up Level 1 - Level 3 paragraphs, e.g. with the following field code:

{ TOC \o "1-3" \h \z \u }

and that your second ToC just needs Level 1 paragraphs (say, "Heading 1" and "mylevel1". As long as you know the names of all the Level  paragraph styles, you could then define the second ToC like this

{ TOC \t "Heading 1,4;mylevel1;4" \h \z \u }

Some notes...
     1. Since you are always using the TOC styles (TOC 1, TOC 2) etc., the styles will never be truly independent - a change to the "style set" in the ToC dialog box may change the entire set of styles and therefore modify the appearance of both ToCs.
     2. Using named styles does not work well internationally when built-in style names such as "Heading 1" may vary from one Word installation to another
     3. The separator characters ";" and "," may also need to be changed depending on the settings in Windows regional options (or the Mac equivalent).

Peter Jamieson

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 7:42 AM
  • The formatting of entries in the table of contents is determined by the TOC styles: TOC 1 controls the formatting of level 1 entries, TOC 2 controls the formatting of level 2 entries, etc.

In other words, if you are not using all TOC levels, you can map Heading 1 to level 1/TOC 1 (the default) in the first table of contents, and then map the same heading to (say) level 4 in the second table of contents. Then modify the TOC 4 style to suit your needs.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

• Edited by Stefan BlomMVP Tuesday, August 19, 2014 12:26 PM
    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 10:23 AM

All replies

• That is not possible, since both use the same TOC Style. If you unlink one of them (via Ctrl-Shift-F9), you can then change the Style and reformat it, but it will no longer function as a TOC (i.e. it won't update and clicking on it won't take you to the related content).

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Friday, August 15, 2014 10:33 PM
  • I don't think you could ever make them entirely independent

In a specific case, you might be able to do it this way

Let's suppose that your first ToC just picks up Level 1 - Level 3 paragraphs, e.g. with the following field code:

{ TOC \o "1-3" \h \z \u }

and that your second ToC just needs Level 1 paragraphs (say, "Heading 1" and "mylevel1". As long as you know the names of all the Level  paragraph styles, you could then define the second ToC like this

{ TOC \t "Heading 1,4;mylevel1;4" \h \z \u }

Some notes...
     1. Since you are always using the TOC styles (TOC 1, TOC 2) etc., the styles will never be truly independent - a change to the "style set" in the ToC dialog box may change the entire set of styles and therefore modify the appearance of both ToCs.
     2. Using named styles does not work well internationally when built-in style names such as "Heading 1" may vary from one Word installation to another
     3. The separator characters ";" and "," may also need to be changed depending on the settings in Windows regional options (or the Mac equivalent).

Peter Jamieson

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 7:42 AM
  • The formatting of entries in the table of contents is determined by the TOC styles: TOC 1 controls the formatting of level 1 entries, TOC 2 controls the formatting of level 2 entries, etc.

In other words, if you are not using all TOC levels, you can map Heading 1 to level 1/TOC 1 (the default) in the first table of contents, and then map the same heading to (say) level 4 in the second table of contents. Then modify the TOC 4 style to suit your needs.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

• Edited by Stefan BlomMVP Tuesday, August 19, 2014 12:26 PM
    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 10:23 AM