Setting License on deploy RRS feed

• Question

• When you create your task sequence, one of the things asked is about the license.  We currently operate on retail licenses but I am planning on switching over to VLK's with KMS.  However; I'm leery of the timeframe between when I bring up my first machine this way til I hit 25 of them.  It may take as much as several weeks to do this and from another post I made about this, it sounds like the end user is going to end up seeing a notification about it.

My question is this:  I am assuming when deploying via MDT, if you are using KMS, you just leave it as no license and once it boots up it will log in and see the KMS server in dns.  Is it possible though, to use the retail option in MDT, and manually enter the retail license in machines until you've hit the 25 machines with the volume license media and then change them over to KMS?  Hope this fits here - I know it is partially an MDT/licensing issue.

Thursday, January 2, 2014 8:39 PM

Answers

• I wasn't trying to spam the forums, was just looking at it from the viewpoint of MDT I guess.

No problem, that's a good way to look at it, since the documentation, and people's experiences, don't always consider the question from that angle.

I greatly appreciate your input as that helps me a lot.  I'm just getting started on volume licensing, so it's all new to me.  The method you mention sounds like the most painless, I'll just need to read up on how to re-configure to KMS.

Since this would only be a temporary setup, til the number is up to 25, would it be best to still set up the image without a license key and just manually enter the MAK til we get til 25?

By default, VL media is pre-loaded/embedded with the KMSclient pkey, so if you don't specify a pkey in the unattend, you will get KMSclient configuration. You can specify/input your MAK pkey in the unattend, and that's one less manual step to do. You can change to the KMSclient pkey when you've deployed your 25 machines, and at that time, remove the MAK pkey from your unattend.
    To "convert" from MAK to KMSclient, or KMSclient to MAK, here's one method:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793408.aspx
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793406.aspx 
    [slmgr.vbs can be used remotely i.e. over LAN]

And VAMT is another alternative: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff686876.aspx

Both slmgr.vbs [remoting] and VAMT, require a little WindowsFirewall work and permissions, upon the client machine.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Friday, January 3, 2014 10:08 PM

All replies

• per my response in your other thread:

What some implementers do, is to deploy as MAK to the first batch of machines, choosing machines that are normally in the office and on the network. This is so that they can be remotely re-configured from MAK to KMSclient (e.g. by using slmgr.vbs or VAMT, or even by hand) - when there are enough machines to get to 25.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Thursday, January 2, 2014 11:39 PM
  • per my response in your other thread:

What some implementers do, is to deploy as MAK to the first batch of machines, choosing machines that are normally in the office and on the network. This is so that they can be remotely re-configured from MAK to KMSclient (e.g. by using slmgr.vbs or VAMT, or even by hand) - when there are enough machines to get to 25.

Don

Thank you Don - I wasn't trying to spam the forums, was just looking at it from the viewpoint of MDT I guess.

I greatly appreciate your input as that helps me a lot.  I'm just getting started on volume licensing, so it's all new to me.  The method you mention sounds like the most painless, I'll just need to read up on how to re-configure to KMS.

Since this would only be a temporary setup, til the number is up to 25, would it be best to still set up the image without a license key and just manually enter the MAK til we get til 25?

Friday, January 3, 2014 2:27 PM
  • I wasn't trying to spam the forums, was just looking at it from the viewpoint of MDT I guess.

No problem, that's a good way to look at it, since the documentation, and people's experiences, don't always consider the question from that angle.

By default, VL media is pre-loaded/embedded with the KMSclient pkey, so if you don't specify a pkey in the unattend, you will get KMSclient configuration. You can specify/input your MAK pkey in the unattend, and that's one less manual step to do. You can change to the KMSclient pkey when you've deployed your 25 machines, and at that time, remove the MAK pkey from your unattend.
    To "convert" from MAK to KMSclient, or KMSclient to MAK, here's one method:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793408.aspx
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793406.aspx 
    [slmgr.vbs can be used remotely i.e. over LAN]

And VAMT is another alternative: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff686876.aspx

Both slmgr.vbs [remoting] and VAMT, require a little WindowsFirewall work and permissions, upon the client machine.

Don

Friday, January 3, 2014 10:08 PM
  • Thank you!

Friday, January 3, 2014 10:12 PM