none
DPM on multiple sites with ML6000 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I must implement a new backup infrastructure. On the central location I will backup the servers with DPM2012 sp1 (Dell PowerEdge R720xd). On a co location I have another Windows 2012 server (PowerEdge R720xd). The central DPM1 server use the server from the co location as storage server (SMB) for long term backup jobs.

On the co location I have a Dell PowerVault ML6000 tape robot connected to the location server with FC. (I can not place the tape robot in the central location (space problem)).

Can someone help me with my questions?

1: If I connect the tape robot with the server on the co location can i use it from the central DPM server?

2: Is there anyone who knows a way to communicate with the tape robot with iSCSI (can i buy something)

3: Is it smart to install DPM either on the server on the co location.

Thanks

• Edited by Raaf64 Tuesday, November 5, 2013 3:12 PM
    Tuesday, November 5, 2013 3:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There are a few problems with your implementation.

A) Windows 2012 iSCSI targets (which use virtual hard drives) as a DPM storage pool is not a supported configuration.

B) DPM does support tape library sharing, but only if both DPM servers have direct access to the tape drives. That would mean DPM server in the Datacenter would also need a fiber connection to the tape library located in the C0-Location center. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Raaf64 Thursday, January 9, 2014 10:56 AM
    Tuesday, January 7, 2014 11:31 PM