Save File As default location RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to be able to change the default location for SQL Server Management Studio's (2005) "Save File As" dialog. I don't use projects, and changes made to the registry entries in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Shell are overwritten when Management Studio starts up.

SSMS is obvously tracking the "last saved to" folder within an application session (start SSMS, create 2 new queries, save the first one to a non-default folder, then save the 2nd one.)

Seriously, how difficult would that be to persist back to the registry???

I already found this feedback on connect: https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=281845 with a status of closed/won't fix. Is this the last word on this issue? I know this irritates me every time I start a fresh copy of SSMS and save a file.
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 11:32 PM

Answers

• First, let me welcome you to the forms.  As for your question, you can try to open another feedback item for it, but the answer will likely be the same.  Since SSMS runs on the Visual Studio IDE, it is not just a change to SSMS that you are asking for here, and the design of the IDE is based on building projects which have a path specified in them for where to save things.  If you want to have a different location, create a shortcut to the folder you want to save in in the projects folder, and then you can just double click the shortcut to get to that folder faster.

Unless you drum up alot of support for this request, I wouldn't expect to see it change anytime soon.  It isn't something I have ever had issue with personally, it is only a few clicks to get to my normal working folders with a shortcut.

Friday, May 2, 2008 1:30 AM

All replies

• First, let me welcome you to the forms.  As for your question, you can try to open another feedback item for it, but the answer will likely be the same.  Since SSMS runs on the Visual Studio IDE, it is not just a change to SSMS that you are asking for here, and the design of the IDE is based on building projects which have a path specified in them for where to save things.  If you want to have a different location, create a shortcut to the folder you want to save in in the projects folder, and then you can just double click the shortcut to get to that folder faster.

Unless you drum up alot of support for this request, I wouldn't expect to see it change anytime soon.  It isn't something I have ever had issue with personally, it is only a few clicks to get to my normal working folders with a shortcut.

Friday, May 2, 2008 1:30 AM
  • Jonathan-

Thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully future releases won't break it Smile

Skippy
    Monday, May 5, 2008 7:47 PM
  • I vote for it.  There are a lot of "features" that MS left out this time around.  I really feel MS took a step back on the Studio.  It's much harder to do taks that were simple in the Enterprise Manager.

my 2 cents

Steve
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 7:21 PM
  • It's weird ... in plain Visual Studio I can change the location
    Tools / Options ... Projects and Solutions, General, Visual Studio project location
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 7:17 PM