Word 2013 Color Palette Template RRS feed

• Question

• Hello;

I'm using Word 2013. I have recently noticed that every time when I open up a new document or even any existing document which was saved-or-created in word 2013 - the default color palette template (be it for the "Shading" of tables or for "Font Color") is no longer the 2013 one; it got reverted somewhat to the 2010 color template.

For those who may not be knowing it, know it that Word 2013 and Word 2010 uses two different default color palette template. Obviously the one that comes up with 2013 is more appealing to the eyes.

Can somebody please help me so that I can get those 2013 color template back? I believe maybe my "Normal.dotm" must have been altered (on its own?).

Thanks,
    Anooj

• Edited by Anooj Muljee Sunday, February 10, 2013 6:42 AM Title changed, made more specific.
    Saturday, February 9, 2013 5:54 AM

Answers

• I have O2013 beta.   Once you have opened normal.dotm in  W2013, click  Design tab > Colors and choose Office"
    • Marked as answer by Anooj Muljee Monday, February 11, 2013 6:26 AM
    Monday, February 11, 2013 6:21 AM

All replies

• have you try to repair your Office installation?

Repair or remove Office: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/repair-or-remove-office-HA010357402.aspx

Aris Lesmana | IT Technical Trainer | http://arhiez.net
    MVP Profile | Facebook | LinkedIn | Twitter

Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:20 PM
  • @Aris Lesman:

Nope, I didn't wanted to unnecessarily goof up with my office by just playing with trial and error.  Especially in 2013. I wonder if anyone else went through this same problem also and what might have been the exact fix.

Although that there's no guarantee that repair office might be the solution, I might attempt at it as a last resort.

Sunday, February 10, 2013 5:16 PM
  • Thank you for alerting me to the color palette change in W2013. 

I discovered that I had the opposite situation:  Both 2010 and 2013 opened with the 2013 palette--until I opened normal.dotm in W2010 and set the theme  palette to Office.  After that, all new files, including 2013 files, open with in the  O2010 palette.  The two versions of Word share the same Normal.dotm.  I've tried to avoid saving changes to  normal.dotm made by W2013, since it's a beta version, but must have clicked OK/yes a time or two.

If you prefer the 2013 palette, open normal from within 2013 (make sure the file name says Normal.dotm), go to  Design tab > Colors and choose Office--as opposed to Office 2007 - 2010.  To make sure Word will save, back in the document press any character and immediately delete it, then save normal.   You may have to change to the 2013 palette for each older doc.

• Edited by PamCaswell Monday, February 11, 2013 6:21 AM
    Sunday, February 10, 2013 6:13 PM
  • @PamCaswell:

Can you please explain me the steps how to 'set the theme palette to Office' as you have written above?

I was able to find the Normal.dotm by going to:

1. Run » %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates
    2. Located "Normal.dotm » double-clicking on which » it was opened in Word 2013

p.s. I have noticed that when I opened the "Normal.dotm" (In office 2013), the color palette was still that of the 2010 one. Hence I asked you to please describe me how to go about to "set theme palette to office".

Anooj

Monday, February 11, 2013 6:10 AM
  • I have O2013 beta.   Once you have opened normal.dotm in  W2013, click  Design tab > Colors and choose Office"
    • Marked as answer by Anooj Muljee Monday, February 11, 2013 6:26 AM
    Monday, February 11, 2013 6:21 AM
  • @PamCaswell:

Thanks, the problem is almost solved. However the changes about the color palette theme that I made into the "Normal.dotm" cannot be saved. Word (2013) is forcing me to rather save it under a different name. It won't let me override the existing "Normal.dotm".

Any idea?

Monday, February 11, 2013 6:26 AM
  • @PamCaswell:

Thanks, the problem is almost solved. However the changes about the color palette theme that I made into the "Normal.dotm" cannot be saved. Word (2013) is forcing me to rather save it under a different name. It won't let me override the existing "Normal.dotm".

Any idea?

Sounds like you are trying to replace the Normal template instead of opening it for editing. To open Normal as a document, you can do the following: From within Word, press Alt+F11 to display the Visual Basic Editor. Activate the Immediate window by pressing Ctrl+G, type

NormalTemplate.OpenAsDocument

and press Enter. Normal opens in a separate window (and you should now close the Visual Basic Editor). Make the desired changes. Just in case, to "dirty" the document, add and delete a space character; then save and close.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Monday, February 11, 2013 6:33 AM
  • @PamCaswell:

Any idea?

Sounds like you are trying to replace the Normal template instead of opening it for editing. To open Normal as a document, you can do the following: From within Word, press Alt+F11 to display the Visual Basic Editor. Activate the Immediate window by pressing Ctrl+G, type

NormalTemplate.OpenAsDocument

and press Enter. Normal opens in a separate window (and you should now close the Visual Basic Editor). Make the desired changes. Just in case, to "dirty" the document, add and delete a space character; then save and close.

I cannot quote you. Earlier I couldn't. If this gets submitted, it could mean it's working now and I quote you.
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:03 PM
  • I cannot quote you. Earlier I couldn't. If this gets submitted, it could mean it's working now and I quote you.

Your message certainly got posted successfully...

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:23 PM
  • Hello;

I'm using Word 2013. I have recently noticed that every time when I open up a new document or even any existing document which was saved-or-created in word 2013 - the default color palette template (be it for the "Shading" of tables or for "Font Color") is no longer the 2013 one; it got reverted somewhat to the 2010 color template.

For those who may not be knowing it, know it that Word 2013 and Word 2010 uses two different default color palette template. Obviously the one that comes up with 2013 is more appealing to the eyes.

Can somebody please help me so that I can get those 2013 color template back? I believe maybe my "Normal.dotm" must have been altered (on its own?).

Thanks,
    Anooj

Hi everybody,

I've recently installed Office 2013 but I am having the same issue i.e., an outdated (2010) color palette scheme in my fonts colors.  To my surprise the problem persisted even when the previous Office was replaced with 2016.

Anybody has any idea why is this so and what's the fix?

Saturday, January 23, 2016 7:58 PM
  • I can tell you why.  Word kept the normal.dotm from your W2010/2013 version instead of replacing it with a W2016 version.  If you want to keep both versions loaded, you'll have to live with that (and with all new W2016 documents being created in compatibility mode).  But you can fix the palette for all new files by modifying normal.dotm as I suggested in an earlier post.

There's a little trick to opening normal.dotm from the MS/templates folder.  You must double click the file name.

Yes, that's contrary to what you must do to open templates in other folders, where double clicking creates a new file based on the template and right clicking on the file name and then left clicking Open opens the template.  When I right click normal.dotm in the MS/templates folder, then left click Open  I got, in W2007&10, a message that the file is in use. Worse, W2016 opens it as read only and won't close it without shutting down Word.  Who knows why MS doesn't explain these things?

Sunday, January 24, 2016 5:03 AM
  • Hi PamCaswell,

I can tell you why.  Word kept the normal.dotm from your W2010/2013 version instead of replacing it with a W2016 version.  If you want to keep both versions loaded, you'll have to live with that (and with all new W2016 documents being created in compatibility mode).  

Well this is a fresh installation of Windows 8 and there was no previous version of Office on it. I first installed O2013 but the color palette was 2010! Further before installing O2016, I'd had completely uninstall the 2013 version instead of upgrading. Moreover, the normal.dotm date corresponds to the date the O2016 was installed, not the O2013.

I tried the solution but nothing seems to have changed.  I sound lost.  There seems to be no duplicate of normal.dotm as you are implying. See the screenshot of the directory [%appdata%\Microsoft\Templates]

But you can fix the palette for all new files by modifying normal.dotm as I suggested in an earlier post.  

Can you tell me how exactly? Because here's what I did (based from what I read in the previous posts):

1. Right-clicking Normal.dotm » Open with left-click
    2. Once the doc is opened, press space and backspace just to dirty the document.
    3. Go under Design tab » Colors and set to Office [btw how come as shown below Office color theme is showing the 2010 one?]

Once done, I closed word after saving the normal.dotm template but the color scheme remains unchanged [although it says Office color scheme is selected] when I re-opened a normal doc. 

Yes, that's contrary to what you must do to open templates in other folders, where double clicking creates a new file based on the template and right clicking on the file name and then left clicking Open opens the template.  

Like I showed above, even when opening the template {normal.dotm}, while choosing for colors, although the name reads as Office, yet it was showing outdated 2010 color scheme.

What do I do? This is driving me crazy.

Sunday, January 24, 2016 5:30 PM
  • I did not suggest that there could be more than one normal.dotm in the  MS templates folder.  AFIK, there can be only one.   You said, "To my surprise the problem persisted even when the previous Office was replaced with 2016,"  which seemed to mean that you'd installed over an earlier version.  Uninstalling a version does not delete the files in the apps path (such as C:\Users\[userid]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates).  So the old normal.dotm would not get replaced. 

No matter, your problem may already be solved. The picture you posted shows the  2013-16 theme colors (White, background 1; Black, text 1; grey-25%; background 2; blue-grey, text 2; an so forth), which it calls Office.  

It surely can be confusing because, the 2007-10 colors (White, background 1; black, text 1; gray-25%, background 2; blue-gray, text 2; and so forth) were also called Office.   Now, though, in a W2013-16 installation, they're called Office  2007-2010. 

If it's not really solved, write back.

Pam

Monday, January 25, 2016 4:17 AM
  • Hi Pam, thanks for the assistance esp. to a point where I've given up.

No matter, your problem may already be solved. The picture you posted shows the  2013-16 theme colors (White, background 1; Black, text 1; grey-25%; background 2; blue-grey, text 2; an so forth), which it calls Office. 

My issue is not with the office theme (which is grey by default in 2016) but rather with the working color palette scheme, be it for:

1. the fonts color palette and,
    2. the table shading colors

They are still showing outdated 2010 color palette for example despite Office is chosen under Design > Colors > Office.

My 2016 Color Palette for Fonts      My 2016 Color Palette for Table Shading
    Fonts Color Palette Table Shading Color Palette

This is an outdated 2010 scheme in an 2016 Office.  Those who've worked with O2013 know pretty well this color scheme palette belongs to O2010 and in my case, it's not showing the O2016 color palette.

And this is what my issue is about.

Monday, January 25, 2016 11:44 AM

The two versions of Word share the same Normal.dotm. 

Two different versions of Word should not share the same normal tempate. This can cause problems.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Monday, January 25, 2016 1:08 PM
  • First, the 2010 is not outdated, it is different. You may be working in compatibility mode. You will be if you have multiple versions of Word and they are sharing a normal template. The solution to this is to use Options > Advanced > File Locations to change the location of the User Templates folder to make it version specific. Note, this is normally different from the default save location for custom templates.

Templates in Microsoft Word

Monday, January 25, 2016 1:14 PM
  • First, the 2010 is not outdated, it is different. You may be working in compatibility mode. You will be if you have multiple versions of Word and they are sharing a normal template. The solution to this is to use Options > Advanced > File Locations to change the location of the User Templates folder to make it version specific. Note, this is normally different from the default save location for custom templates.

Hi Charles Kenyono, thank you for assisting me.

1. I don't have multiple versions of Word. Presently only 2016 is installed. Previously O2013 was installed but that was completely removed prior to installing the 2016 version.
    2. Despite selecting "Office" in the color scheme under Design tab, yet the color scheme although it reads as "Office", yet it is showing the 2010 colors.
    3. My word seems to be using only one template.
    Monday, January 25, 2016 2:40 PM

Hi Charles Kenyon, thank you for assisting me.

1. I don't have multiple versions of Word. Presently only 2016 is installed. Previously O2013 was installed but that was completely removed prior to installing the 2016 version.
    2. Despite selecting "Office" in the color scheme under Design tab, yet the color scheme although it reads as "Office", yet it is showing the 2010 colors.
    3. My word seems to be using only one template.

Completely removed is different from uninstalled. I would be amazed if you completely removed any Word installation. That would require either reformatting your hard drive or many hours of tedious work.

If your new installation adopted an existing normal.dotm template, then everything opened from that template may be using the old palette. Whether or not that happened, any existing documents or documents created from existing templates (possibly including ones downloaded from Microsoft) would use the old palette.

Try renaming your normal.dotm template with Word closed. Then open Word. When you try using the color palette? What do you see?

Monday, January 25, 2016 4:06 PM

• Completely removed is different from uninstalled. I would be amazed if you completely removed any Word installation. That would require either reformatting your hard drive or many hours of tedious work.

If your new installation adopted an existing normal.dotm template, then everything opened from that template may be using the old palette. Whether or not that happened, any existing documents or documents created from existing templates (possibly including ones downloaded from Microsoft) would use the old palette.

Try renaming your normal.dotm template with Word closed. Then open Word. When you try using the color palette? What do you see?

@Charles Kenyon

I tried both renaming the normal.dotm as well as deleting it - either way the color palette was still showing the 2010 color scheme version.

I have noticed that despite having deleted the normal.dotm, after word is launched-and-closed, it gets created automatically again.

The original template (or master template, as I'd like to refer it) must be kept somewhere which is being copied to the %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates\ directory every time the normal.dotm is being deleted and maybe this one is having the problem.

Monday, January 25, 2016 7:10 PM
  • When I open Word 2013 on my laptop, I see the Office 2013 & 16 colors, which look like the ones in your snapshots.  When I open Word 2010 on my desktop, I see the Office 2007 & 10 colors.  One telling difference is background 1, which is 25% gray in 2013 & 16 and is tan in 2007 & 10. 

To see the color names and recommended usages (text, accent, etc.) hover the cursor over a theme color in the top row of palette drop-down. You can do this in any document.  Change the theme to Office and check out the colors in the palette. Then change the theme to Office 2007-2010 and again check out colors in the palette. 

Monday, January 25, 2016 10:30 PM
  • When I open Word 2013 on my laptop, I see the Office 2013 & 16 colors, which look like the ones in your snapshots.  When I open Word 2010 on my desktop, I see the Office 2007 & 10 colors.  One telling difference is background 1, which is 25% gray in 2013 & 16 and is tan in 2007 & 10. 

To see the color names and recommended usages (text, accent, etc.) hover the cursor over a theme color in the top row of palette drop-down. You can do this in any document.  Change the theme to Office and check out the colors in the palette. Then change the theme to Office 2007-2010 and again check out colors in the palette. 

Hi PamCaswell,

Could you post screenshots of how does your color palette looks like for all the above-mentioned office schemes you have. I gather you have the color schemes for 2007, 2010, 2013 and 2016.

Many thanks.

Monday, January 25, 2016 10:56 PM

• I have noticed that despite having deleted the normal.dotm, after word is launched-and-closed, it gets created automatically again.

The original template (or master template, as I'd like to refer it) must be kept somewhere which is being copied to the %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates\ directory every time the normal.dotm is being deleted and maybe this one is having the problem.

This is by design. The normal template is actually created out of the winword.exe code itself. I assume that the documents in which you see the problem are fresh new documents in Word 2016.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 12:29 AM
  • Two different versions of Word should not share the same normal tempate. This can cause problems.

Hi, Charles.  I've had two and sometimes three versions of Word using the same normal.dotm or normal.dot over the past 15 years—without problems. I define problems as Word crashes or data loss, and that hasn't happened.  There some inconveniences (such as the normal.dotm in use messages), but not enough for me to say it should never be done.   I kept W2003 until until I got a new computer. At about the same time, customers had stopped insisting that I use it to edit.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 1:04 AM
  • Hi PamCaswell,

Could you post screenshots of how does your color palette looks like for all the above-mentioned office schemes you have. I gather you have the color schemes for 2007, 2010, 2013 and 2016.

Many thanks.

Sorry, my screen capture skills seem to be lacking today.  But if you will do as I suggest and in W2016 change the theme to Office 2007-2010 and note the colors in the font or shading palette and then back to Office and note the colors in the palette, you will understand what I am trying to say. 

HTH, Pam

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 2:02 AM
  • Hi PamCaswell,

Many thanks.

Sorry, my screen capture skills seem to be lacking today.  But if you will do as I suggest and in W2016 change the theme to Office 2007-2010 and note the colors in the font or shading palette and then back to Office and note the colors in the palette, you will understand what I am trying to say. 

HTH, Pam

I definitely see the difference in colors, but the Office (2016) colors which is showing up doesn't even reflect the 2016 or 2013 one. That's something else. 

If somebody could give me some files to import the 2013 & 2016 color palette schemes, that'll be great. That's the only way out I think.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 2:51 AM
  • Two different versions of Word should not share the same normal tempate. This can cause problems.

Hi, Charles.  I've had two and sometimes three versions of Word using the same normal.dotm or normal.dot over the past 15 years—without problems. I define problems as Word crashes or data loss, and that hasn't happened.  There some inconveniences (such as the normal.dotm in use messages), but not enough for me to say it should never be done.   I kept W2003 until until I got a new computer. At about the same time, customers had stopped insisting that I use it to edit.
    I wouldn't say Word crashes or loses data. It may do unexpected things. If I use a Word 2007 normal.dotm in Word 2010 or 2013 I get different WordArt and may have some different defaults, AutoCorrect and AutoText. I will often have different versions open simultaneously. My preferred version is Word 2010 but 2013 has some features I use. The versions have subtle differences that are reflected in their normal templates. (The same was true of the earlier normal.dot templates.)

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 11:43 PM
  • Did you ever get this fixed?  I am having the same problem.
    Friday, September 1, 2017 4:24 PM