Problem in activating windows 7 Pro RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone

I am having a weird problem . Today i was installing windows 7 professional . I have the MSDN academic licensce key .After installing OS i connected to Internet to activate it online . When i tried to enter my key . I got an error -- unacceptable character --Please check your product key  and try again . when i tried a number of times i still got the same error . The weird thing is I found that the key made of all characters except " a,e,i,l,n,o,u,s,z " is accepted but the error is only for these characters . Even if the first chracter i enter is happens to be one of these I get the same error ..Cant understand why it is happening ...? It is my first installation with this key which i got from my college. Any help Please...

Thanks in advance  

Sunday, May 23, 2010 6:06 PM

Answers

• Like you noticed youself, the characters you specified are indeed not used in license keys. If those characters are present in your license key, you should consult with the source you got them from.

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:17 AM
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 10:13 PM
  • Not to sound like an idiot, but are you using capital letters? I am not sure if activation codes are case sensetive, but I always press my cap lock key prior to inserting. The other thought of the key being incorrect from the source is more likely.

Knowone-

Knowone39 Compfix2010@comcas.net
    • Proposed as answer by Knowone39 Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, May 25, 2010 5:42 AM
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 10:30 PM
  • Hi,

Firstly, please call Microsoft Activation Center to check if your product key is valid.

Then check if your keyboard is faulty, as I know, keyboard fault can cause incorrect type, you can type it using On-Screen keyboard. To open On-Screen keyboard, click Start, type: osk in the Search box and then use mouse to select the characters.

Best Regards

Dale

Monday, May 24, 2010 8:33 AM
  • Thanks for helping me out .

I checked from my college and finally there was an error in my product key itself . just one character was wrongly typed . But now i have successfully activated my windows online . Thanks to all .

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:16 AM
    Monday, May 24, 2010 6:09 PM

All replies

• Like you noticed youself, the characters you specified are indeed not used in license keys. If those characters are present in your license key, you should consult with the source you got them from.

Sunday, May 23, 2010 10:13 PM
  • Not to sound like an idiot, but are you using capital letters? I am not sure if activation codes are case sensetive, but I always press my cap lock key prior to inserting. The other thought of the key being incorrect from the source is more likely.

Knowone-

Knowone39 Compfix2010@comcas.net
    • Proposed as answer by Knowone39 Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, May 25, 2010 5:42 AM
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 10:30 PM
  • Hi,

Firstly, please call Microsoft Activation Center to check if your product key is valid.

Then check if your keyboard is faulty, as I know, keyboard fault can cause incorrect type, you can type it using On-Screen keyboard. To open On-Screen keyboard, click Start, type: osk in the Search box and then use mouse to select the characters.

Best Regards

Dale

Monday, May 24, 2010 8:33 AM
  • Thanks for helping me out .

I checked from my college and finally there was an error in my product key itself . just one character was wrongly typed . But now i have successfully activated my windows online . Thanks to all .

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:16 AM
    Monday, May 24, 2010 6:09 PM
  • Didn't mean to do that. How do I unpropose as answer?
    Knowone39 Compfix2010@comcast.net
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:22 AM
  • Hey Tej,

Sorry to say that No one seems to have an answer to this issue which I also have.

I have posted in numerous forums and had numerous "MVPs" respond with a huge amount of time wasting direction which never comes to anything.

In my case as a small OEM I often built systems for clients and early on would build a system for a client to evaluate the system & Win7 and so would NOT enter a key allowing the client to use the system and Win7 in demo mode for a short while. At some point about 2 years ago I discovered that upon acceptance of the unit I would attempt to enter a legitimate OEM license key only to find that about 9 of the keys would not work, producing that Unacceptable Character error. I have also tried the on screen keyboard, I’ve tried copy & paste and literally nothing will work. And NO you can't even get to the place to call MS for activation so that is off the list of possible solutions...

I have purposefully done numerous lab builds trying to discover everything I could discover about this issue. In summary, here’s what I know and can conclude:

> During the From Scratch Install (FSI) of Win7-32 or 64 (I only do x64) when first asked for the key, I am always able to enter it then.

> If I go even one step beyond the initial Key Entry and attempt to enter the key as soon as available, the error returns.

The same media worked fine early on in this regard but at some point it changed and I suspect that the newest hardware has some kind setting that causes this to help reduce piracy but damn it is so annoying to have to do another FSI which in my case takes a minimum of 8 hours due the completeness and very high level of ideal configurations of every program installed.

Sadly, I still have a few clients with complicated installs still running in demo mode because their system’s OS config is so complicated with so many programs that they don’t want to pay for that time and I don’t want to spend (in one case) more than 20 hours to rebuild a system OS for free.

Damn Microsoft but you are so short sighted in so many areas, you are going to lose more and more ground to Apple & Linux if you don’t start improving in long over looked areas… With regard to Win8 – Yikes! What on earth were you thinking besides promoting your Phone 7 & 8, you did No Service at All to the Windows world by bending to profit mongering stock holders and fund managers… They will kill you if you bend to their inane naiveté and stupidity!

Saturday, November 3, 2012 9:23 PM
  • I feel your pain.  I installed a FSI of Win7 64bit twice, on two different partitions on the SAME laptop. One of the partitions/installs, I remembered to put the product key back in BEFORE any updates (SP1 only) and it WORKED. The other partition/build, I forgot to put the key in and applied all the updates only to find now I'm getting this damned "Unacceptable character".. DAMN YOU MICROSOFT.
    Tuesday, March 20, 2018 4:11 AM