none
Sizing and Installing Sccm 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, Currently we have sccm 2007 that was configured badly a few years ago before I get to work here and it's not in use. I'm going to install a new Sccm 2012 infrastructure but I've realized that I can't use my old site code if not upgrading !? I think I'll use must of Sccm features and need some advise upon sizing. We have about 500 workstations, mostly XP only on one physical site (we have also two little sites away but they are considered like a local lan, and a separate old WSUS that I consider to replace. I think to deploy all the sccm environment on hyper-v vm's (we have a hyper-v 2012 infrastructure with scvmm 2012). I suppose that in my scenario I will use a stand alone sccm infrastructure and following are my considerations : * is it good idea to install all my sccm infrastructure on hyper-v vm's ? Anything to keep in mind in this installation ? * is it ok, consider my site size to install all the rules on a single server ? If not, which rules should I separate to other servers ? * is it ok to deploy all sccm infrastructure on Windows 2012 ? Any special considerations here ? * should my SQL server reside on the same server of the sccm infrastructure ? (I saw several discussions about preferring not to separate the db server from the sccm server !? * what should be my servers hardware assignments and disk allocations ? How to split the database volumes and what sizes ? * I believe that in the future it's possible to separate rules to other servers as needed (not only adding same rules to another servers but moving the rules around the servers) !? * about my WSUS server, can I install it on the same server or should it be better have its own server ? And what about its database ? * should I install the database in a special manner ? How should my server volumes look like in sizes and for what purposes ? * how can I check in advance if I need to upgrade my active directory scheme for sccm 2012 ? Sorry for my long questions, but I will like to hear you experts and guys who has experience in more then one installation. Thank you very much for every device and suggestions.
    Saturday, April 13, 2013 4:29 PM

Answers

• With 500 clients, yes, one single, standalone primary on virtual is fine.  No need to put SQL on a different server.  Wsus on same server, too.  Nothing super special or complex needs to be done.  I would make sure to install to a drive letter other than c (normally d, but whatever, as long as it isn't the same as where %windir% is, forture growth needs.

If you already have cm07, no schema ad changes needed--you probably extended the schema for 07.

Main considerations: regardless of physical or virtual, SQL is your main thing.  A) cm likes Simple, not full in SQL db options.  B) limit the memory SQL can have. C) disk iops, disk iops, disk iops, and let me say this once more in case you didn't hear me the first few times, disk iops, is what will benefit you the most if you find you've already addressed the simple, and limit memory.  Regardless of physical or virtual, if you are on slow disks at the disk layer--you will suffer, and suffer a lot.  Separating your database onto multiple drives (by which I mean multiple 'spindles', not just logical drive letters can help...but only if you already have as high of iops as you can get.

Oh, and you asked about offloading roles, absolutely you can offload roles. But consider offloading SQL as the absolutely last thing, but if you feel offloading would be beneficial, offload whatever roles have an Iis component first--the mp, sup, and dp roles--ie the roles where a client has to chat.  But for 500 clients, if you feel you have to offload roles...then your original single box either doesn't have the minimum recommended memory, or you completely ignored my advice about iops. 

Standardize. Simplify. Automate.

Saturday, April 13, 2013 6:43 PM