SQL 2005 doesn´t recognizes backup tape drive RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all.

I just installed a new Windows 2008 Server and SQL 2005 SP2 (both 64 bits - Server Dell PowerEdge 2900).

Windows recognizes the tape drive and I can use it with Backup Exec normally.

But when I try to create a backup device inside SQL Management ins´t possible because the tape option is disable. Only file option is enabled.

I know Windows 2008 Server Backup doesn´t work with tape drives, but that´s impact SQL too?

Any idea?

Tks a lot.

Dan Pinheiro

Rio de Janeiro

Brasil

Thursday, August 14, 2008 1:11 PM

All replies

• We backup to tape with SQL 2005, but I am running Windows 2003.  It has been a while, but I believe I had to create a Server Object Backup Device to get it to work.
    Thursday, August 14, 2008 2:49 PM
  • Hello Dan,

If you execute the tsql command 'exec master.dbo.xp_get_tape_devices', do you get any results? If you get no results, then your tape drive may be based on the newer StorPort.sys driver. There is an issue with these newer tape drives not being recognized in SQL Server 2005's Management Studio. The issue does not affect SQL Server 2008.

We intend to address this issue in a future update for SQL Server 2005.

Hope this helps,

James

Friday, August 15, 2008 8:26 PM
  • Hi James, really no results after execute the command.

The strange is that with the set Win2003 + SQL2005 the same drive works fine. Is there a way to confirm if the tape drive is using the storport.sys driver? Is there a way to set another driver?

Device manager informs tape drive is using QDLTx64.sys and LT1c3x53.dll, both provided by Quantum (drive´s manufacturer).

I installed the last SQL Cumulative updates, no results too.

Tks .

Dan Pinheiro

Rio de Janeiro.

Brasil.

Monday, August 18, 2008 5:52 PM