installation of a 64 bit Windows 7 pre installed on a Hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• YES, I do have Raid configuration set on my Precision T3400, but my problem is, when I purchased this unit is was because it was backwards compatible and could run 32 bit operating systems on a x64 bit processing set up. I now have my 32 bit hard drive Windows operating system running but the drawback, is it cannot utilize the full memory capabilities of a 64 bit processing. I purchased this unit hard drive free and installed the 32 bit system drive and all worked great, but now, MY QUESTION is: If I have a hard drive with a 64 bit windows 7 operating system installed, can I remove the 32 bit hard drive system and put in the 64 bit system hard drive and boot to the newly installed system and enjoy the more memory capabilities without receiving the blue screen message about [ Your PC needs to be repaired / A component of the operating system has expired / File; \Windows \system32\boot\winload.exe ]  This happen when I formatted a 500 GB hard drive  to use to install a fresh copy of a windows system from a ISO disk and selected my cd rom as primary boot and I removed the primary hard drive from bay raid 0 and put the format drive in that bay and booted to install the set up from the disk but I got the message in parentheses above. I am not tech savy enough to change raid configurations as there are three options in set up that point to selections of Raid On, Something about ATA and ACHI. I just want to be able to run a hard drive with 64 bit operating system with out doing a clean install over my primary 32 bit hard drive and then I can do the free Microsoft upgrade to windows 10 as offered. I do not know your response policy but I would like to be notified to my email address of an answer or solution to jhaskins20018@yahoo.com attention John. Thank you

John Haskins

Sunday, October 25, 2015 3:13 AM

Answers

• Hi jhaskins75,

Was the 64 operating system hard drive installed on this machine?
     As far as I know, the hardware information such as the motherboard, hard drive will be recorded in the operating system. If the hard drive is plugged to other machines, the system won`t boot.

You could consider dual boot.
    How to Dual Boot Windows 7 32-Bit with Windows 7 64-Bit - Part 2
    http://www.pagestart.com/win7db06171108.html

NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 6:30 AM