none
Backup design what to additonally backup except BMR? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have DPM 2012 R2. I have configured complete backup for around 20 machines. And after weekend I realized that half is red - and never done because of disk space..??

So I need to deep down into it to found out how it really works. Most of the links in DPM points to web page called paged not found. So I am asking you here. Most of problem I have are with BMR backup/SSB.

DPM creates new replica volume and recovery point. immediately after this new config it fails with out of disk space issue.i found on this forum to run wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:\\fs01\backup to see what will be the real size.

Ok, he created 40GB. But from that command I see it will backup : system restore, C, E which is 350GB. even auto grow is selected - he fail and didn't extend volume..??

(Why is this DPM tool so stupid that he didn't calculate it properly. It is same Microsoft tool :-D.)

My question is maybe much more easy. I would like to have backup for disaster recovery. I am using VMW machines not physical.

In protection group I have selected (in this example WSUS server):

C 40

D 300

Shares

SSB

BMR

SQL

then I realized that D drive which has 300GB is also added to BMR - (by wbadmin tool.)

And now I don't  know in which case should I backup all drives and when no.

it seems to me like I will have some disk twice in DPM. once as BMR once as D drive. and I need to use another wbadmin tool with -allcritical to see what exactly will be covered by BMR backup?

maybe there is simple method to properly choose what I need to backup to restore complete machine in case of disaster recovery?

I am with DPM just for week now and little bit lost :-D thank you for any help guys! I didn't found any suitable article regarding this design strategy.

bye

Jaromir

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 11:16 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The below may assist with potential guidance.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh758114.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Dwayne Jackson II. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights."

• Marked as answer by Jaromir Holan Wednesday, September 24, 2014 7:36 AM
    Tuesday, September 23, 2014 8:08 PM